60| Hurt Feelings & Altercations

May 2001 :

Troy –

My sister and I struck a few poses as we took pictures with our peers and friends. Of course, anytime I saw him, I had to get a solo picture or two with Usher and reminisce on the fact that I first met him as a fan. Since we'd agreed to do this last minute weekend long concert series, Torii and I figured we'd come out and enjoy all three days. For the most part of the first day, today, we were watching others perform. One of my personal favorites had been Aaliyah. Especially when she brought out Missy, Timbaland, and Magoo. Of course, Ginuwine had all of us females out here screaming, and I got extra hype when Marliss came out to perform. Something he didn't tell me he was doing.

And throughout the day we'd stopped to talk and take pictures with friends and fans as they spotted us in various areas of the crowd. It was all fun, and one of the best days I'd been able to have and enjoy in well over a month.

Once the crowd around us dispersed a bit, Torii and I found ourselves close to the stage, dancing in our spots as 702 performed. Having always been a fan of theirs, I was ecstatic to hear that they were 'reuniting' for the weekend's festivities. I was also thrilled to hear they were going to start working on a new album, and Torii got hype when Kameelah, the lead singer, asked her to write a song for it.

Smiling as Torii danced, holding on to her belly, we sang along as cameras panned back and forth between our row and the stage. "Hey, hey, hey, hey... don't you violate meeee. 'Cause Imma make you hate meeee... if you decide to mess with mine." The beat switched up mid-chorus and they started singing one of my favorites.

Get Down Like Dat.

"Tell me am I wrong, to go for what I like? When she holds you tight, you want me. It's only right. And I don't caaaare. Her name's not stamped on you. That means she don't own you. I'm gonna make you miiiiine. I. Get. Dooooown like that." I turned around and hit the Bankhead bounce. "It may be wrong, but it's all about what I want." As I danced, hitting random moves in the space that I had, I sang along, vibing hard until I felt someone randomly place their arms around me. "What the hell?"

"Relax Baby, it's just me."

I exhaled, looking over my shoulder at Marliss just before he kissed me. "Boy, you almost got elbowed in the throat." Torii laughed, doubling over before she stood up straight and pulled the bottom of her t-shirt down. "Why didn't you tell me you were performing today?"

"They originally told me Sunday but I filled in for somebody today. I just flew in this morning. My mom says hi, by the way. She also said don't bring my ass back to Tennessee unless you're with me, so, we've got a trip to plan." I nodded as I leaned against him. Turning his attention to Torii, he thanked her when she handed him one of her water bottles. "Are you feeling okay, Sis? If you want, I can go get you one of those fold out chairs from the backstage area. I saw plenty of them."

"I'm good, Marliss, but thank you. Where's my big headed husband?"

Marliss shrugged, wrapping his arms around me again. "His flight was delayed last I talked to him, but he said he wasn't scheduled to drop in until tomorrow night."

"Damn. I just hope I actually get to see him before he performs. He's doing that and heading right back out of the country. I hate y'all schedules."

Marliss laughed. "We hate it more than you and Troy, I promise. But, it's great to be in high demand in foreign countries. Sometimes I'd rather be over there than here. At least they appreciate the songs that don't have 'hit potential'."