29| Promising Changes

Troy –

Though I was supposed to be preparing to record this song for Disney, some soundtrack Chauncey agreed to let me appear on solo, I was sitting at the mixing console, listening as Marliss recorded his vocals for the final song that was going on Xclusive's next album.

He and Raymond either recorded together or alone now, finding it too difficult to handle the unnecessary attitudes that Greg, Desmond, and Keith threw their way anytime they had to sit in sessions together. It was sad to see, because on stage and in press interviews they appeared to be the greatest friends. Behind the scenes, things were just unraveling for them. Marliss, being the overly positive person that he is, had high hopes that recording the second album would bring them close again, help them remember what they'd started off with; but he said it only made things worse. Especially once he and Raymond began doing more producing this time around. He told me that if they made it past any point after the promotion for their second album, it would be a complete miracle. Not because he couldn't handle it, or keep up appearances. But because it seemed that the other guys were starting to go to no length to ruin all they'd worked hard for.

I didn't get it, didn't understand it, but it sure made me pray hard that nothing ever happened to the girls and I. I loved singing, with all of my heart, but I never ever wanted to have to go out there alone.

"Troy."

I looked up, clearing my throat as I set my pen down. "Yes?"

"Hit that button I showed you please."

"Why do you keep starting over, you sound fine to me."

Marliss rolled his eyes before looking in my direction. "Thank you, Baby, but something's still off to me. This is an Isley Brothers song they've got us remaking, and it's got to be perfect."

"Boo, I say this with so much love and respect for your talent." He smirked. "You're no Mr. Biggs. Just like you have a distinct voice, so does he. You're not going to sound exactly like him. Your rendition is not going to sound like the original."

"I know, but it has to sound just as good or better. You do know that people trash talk remakes, right? Of course you don't know, because you always make yours sound better."

"Stop lying please, and just relax. If it will help you, pretend that you're singing it to me."

"Pretend? I was singing it to you." I smiled, blowing him a kiss. "Hit the button for me, please."

"Promise it's your last time starting over?"

"No, I can't promise that."

I sighed, shaking my head as I hit the button, restarting the instrumental. I watched him, smiling to myself as he closed his eyes and got back to work. Holding his headphones against his ear, he stood up and kicked his stool back, getting closer to the microphone. I liked to watch him work sometimes, because he was so precise and meticulous. He was very critical of himself, mentally picking out every mistake he made, even as he worked. It made his process a little slow, causing him to take longer than necessary, but it was always worth it when you heard the final product. "Can I go on my way without you? Whoa-ooh, how can I know? If I go on my way without you; whoa-ooh, where would I go? Set sail with me. Misty Lady, set my spirit free. New love to find. And though I leave another behind, I'll always..." He stopped and stepped back from the microphone, nodding his head slowly as he listened to the vocals he'd already laid, along with Raymond and the fellas singing the chorus. When he stepped back to the microphone, he closed his eyes again, using his hands this time as he sang. "She's my lady, now and ever. Whoa-ooh, how can I know? Can we go all the way together? Whoa-ooh, can it be so? So we'll say our last goodbye, and we'll make it this time. Ohhhh, set sail with me to a paradise out beyond the sea. Atlantis." He stopped again, cursing under his breath before he asked me to stop the playback. "I fucked up."