35| Highs And Lows

December 1997 :

Leann –

I could not believe where I was in this exact moment. Not only did I have my little brother with me, after a judge finally decided that I had more than enough to properly take care of him on my own, new home included; I was sitting in a studio, waiting to work with one of my main inspirations as we sat listening to the official Grammy nominations.

The shit was wild as I came to realize just how far things have come for me. "Am I going to like it here in California?"

I nodded. "Mmhm. You're going to love it. And who knows, you may even see a few of your favorite actors out and about."

He smirked. "If I could meet Jennifer Lopes, that would make my entire life complete."

I laughed, kissing his cheek as I put my arms around him.

"I'm so happy to have you back with me. And from now on, it's going to be you and I, always."

"Except for when you have a show."

"Yeah, but when you don't have school, you'll be coming with me. I won't trust just anybody with you."

"You mean I'll get to sit back stage and watch you perform?"

I nodded. "Might even bring you up one time. Or, do you still not want people to know that you can dance your little butt off?"

"If it will get me attention from the beautiful ladies of the world, I'll gladly jump on stage. Oo-hoo, I can see it now. They'll be asking you at your meet and greets, where's that handsome boy you brought on stage. We must meet him too."

I fell out, shaking my head at KC. He was entirely too serious, mapping out whether he wanted to be over the top cute, or give them just enough cuteness to keep them intrigued. "I can't deal with you, Mr. Comeaux."

"That's hilarious. I love the lil' relationship you two have though, you're a great big sister Leann."

I started blushing, putting my head down for a moment before I turned towards where Mystikal was sitting. My inspiration, my idol, the hometown hero himself, as far as I was concerned. He knew who I was, he likes how I flow, he likes my spirit and my personality. And most importantly, he wants to work with me.

When Chauncey came to me with his lip turned up, asking why I was catching the attention of 'gangsta' rappers and stated that I had caught Mystikal's attention, I passed out. Literally. And when I came to, he was standing over me, checking to see if I was okay.

As long as I'd lived in Louisiana, with it being well known that he only left home for shows and tours, I had never bumped into him by chance as a normal person. It was nothing but God, and nothing but a blessing that I refused to mess up, or let anyone else mess up for me.

Chauncey tried to tell him that his style wasn't a Fly Girl style, and Mystikal said that he knew and understood that. While he wanted Ava, Torii, and Troy to possibly sing the chorus on something for him one day, right now he only wanted to work with me.

I can't begin to explain how quickly I pushed Chauncey to the side and agreed with nothing more than a handshake in that moment.

"I really admire that it's family first for you. And sometimes, even when we don't want to, it's our siblings that we gotta look out for the most. Bring 'em up if it's necessary, try to guide them in the right direction and all of that. He got a really good role model, and I knew that the instant you explained that you were doing all of this for him."