31| Troy's Battle

Troy –

Taking a deep breath as I took a seat in front of Chauncey's desk, I yawned and crossed one leg over the other as I waited. Since he normally kept his office quiet, unlike Brandy and other agents and managers that rented out offices within the building, I decided to hum and sing Cherrelle's Affair to myself while I waited.

I was a little put off about him wanting to see me alone, but I figured he was finally going to be somewhat decent for once and chew me out in private, rather than shaming and embarrassing me in front of everyone else.

I was nearly done singing the entire song by the time he strolled in with a creepy grin spread across his face as he burst through the door. Closing it behind him, he turned back in my direction and held his arms out. "Troy! My Dear! No hug today?"

"Depends on if I'm in trouble or not."

He smirked and put his arms down before quickly taking a seat at his desk. "You're not in trouble. In fact, I've got some wonderful news for you. By the way, was that you I heard all the way out in the hall just now?"

"Probably. Sorry." I was getting to the point where I struggled to sing lowly now, because I was becoming used to sound malfunctions on stage every so often, having to scream or sing extra loud so that we could be heard until the problems were fixed."

"Never apologize Troy. You know that I love your voice."

I looked at him, completely confused. "But... but yesterday you told me that I sounded like a billy goat being trampled on by a group of trolls... the trolls being my sister, Ava, and Leann."

Chauncey smiled, chuckling. "You girls should be used to me and my shit by now. See, Troy, I try to be tough with you all. But the fact of the matter is; you're the best. Most definitely my favorite member of the group, followed by your sister."

I became a bit more uncomfortable, unsure if he should be telling me this type of thing and if I should even be listening. Managers aren't supposed to play favorites, and if they do, they're certainly not supposed to tell their artists. "What's your point?"

"My point, Troy, is that I've been doing a lot of thinking and it's time we up the ante a little. At least, for you and your sister." He cleared his throat, pulling a folder from one of the drawers in his desk. "Me finding you guys work and offers to do solo, it's been my little way of testing to see how well things work out for you guys separately. I'm sure you all knew coming in that Fly Girl was not meant to go past one album. Forgive me for saying it now, for I am extremely proud of you all, but there was never supposed to be a multi-platinum album, singles, nominations or a Grammy."

"Okay, but that's all the more reason to keep going, right?"

"Yes, and naturally, we're going to keep the momentum going with the second album; but MCA doesn't have high hopes for a great turnout the second time around, and I'm kind of leaning with them on that."

"But that Grammy came for a song that's going to be on this second album. So what are they doubting? And why don't they have faith in us?!"

Chauncey looked at me. I could see a bit of agitation written on his face, but this was pissing me off. I knew exactly where he was going, and I'm not having it. "They have plenty of faith in you, Troy. And they have a good bit in Torii. But Fly Girl..."

I shook my head. "So, what are we to do? Y'all just stop backing and funding the project, no matter how much we bring in during the first week's sales in August? We stop touring? No videos? No more offers and gigs?"