30| Affairs Of The Heart

July 1997 :

Leann –

Standing in front of a crowd of over sixty thousand, I was more hype for a Summer Jam type of concert than I've ever been in my entire life.

I pulled at the bottom of my shorts before putting my microphone up to my mouth. "Yeaaaaah, Atlanta!" The crowd screamed and we smiled. I cleared my throat, speaking up again. "Did you enjoy our boys Xclusive?" They all screamed and I nodded, loving the big response they got. "Alright, alright, and did you enjoy our boy Aaron Seville?" The response wasn't as big as Xclusive's but, more than enough seemed to enjoy Aaron, and once again he would be cleared to continue on the tour with us. "Nice. Now, I know y'all had to enjoy our girl Valen Carter." The response grew to be out of control at that point and I laughed, asking them to quiet down.

Valen was one of Chauncey's newest artists, and though she had a slight attitude problem, it was one that was manageable. And somewhat worth the trouble because she always, always got the crowd extra hype for us. And, there was no way that we could deny her talent.

She was certainly no competition for us, so it was definitely no issue to share the stage with her day after day.

"The most important question though; have you been enjoying us, Fly Girl?" I held my microphone out, surprised at how loud every member of the audience screamed. I smiled, looking back at the girls. We'd been going in, finally taking a minute to breathe and rest after dancing for nearly two hours straight, giving one of our best set of performances to date. "As always, we just want to make sure that we take the time to say thank you to everyone that supports us, be it you all having your individual favorites or you loving us all as a whole. The letters that we receive in the mail, with the cards and different gifts, we love and appreciate. When some of you see us and stop us in random cities, or when we're all back in our home towns, we love and appreciate. You guys buying our albums and singles, you all continuing to keep us at the top of the charts, we love and appreciate it so much. The calls to the radio station, those of you that continuously check those disk jockeys on air, those of you that defend us, that genuinely love us for who we are... we love and appreciate you so much, and we know that without all of you, there would be no Fly Girl."

There was a swift round of applause, along with a few people sitting in the first few rows tossing things on stage for us. Always watching us from the side, waiting for his chance to put the hurt on someone that would be bold enough to jump on the stage without us inviting them up; Kyrie walked on stage and began gathering everything. "No worries y'all, we do get and keep everything from you all. Our friend Kyrie is just real protective. He's gotta check everything for his own sanity."

He chuckled, looking between the four of us before he looked out to the audience. "You all love them, but they're like my daughters for real. Gotta keep my babies safe." He got extra cautious when some guy tossed something sharp at one of us during a Miami show. It'd flew past me but caught Torii in the arm, leaving a long cut before it hit and got stuck in one of our stage props.

Our audiences knew, and understood, this wasn't anything new. But we always felt the need to explain in case there was anyone seeing us for the very first time. In the end, he'd have separated everything according to who's name was on it, and we'd be writing and sending off thank you letters to each person that safely tucked away or stapled on their addresses to whatever they tossed up to us.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you so much. It's not much that we can do to show our love and appreciation, but we would love to sing a song just for you. One from the new album, one that no one else will hear until the album drops. Is that okay with you all?"