19| Release Day, A Birthday, & Unexpected Surprises

Leann –

I sat back in my chair, trying to rub the sleep out of my eye as we waited for the record store to open. Typically, we'd be waiting on the other side of the door, wondering what the newest releases for a Tuesday morning would be. But today, today we were sitting inside at a long table covered with our posters, promotional photo books, and pins with our individual and group pictures; hoping and praying that our very first album release and album signing day wasn't a complete bust. It'd been a long and stressful month, but one thing was for certain; we were so thankful to have finally made it to this day, to this moment.

Chauncey refused to let any of us listen to any of the entertainment news shows, we couldn't pick up copies of the latest teen magazines, not even the ones we'd posed for, and we definitely couldn't ask anyone at the label what our projected sales and stats were so far. If today was a bust, at least we'd have the pre-release sales from last night; hopefully.

"Girls, get those smiles on your faces, look lively. As soon as those doors open, hundreds and thousands of teens will be rushing in, screaming, crying, anxious to meet you."

I looked over at Brandy. Now I'm all for the support and hype, but let's be real for a minute. "I can believe the hundreds, but thousands Brandy? Really?"

She folded her arms across her chest. "You don't think so? You girls have built a reliable brand for yourselves so far, and along with building that, you've gained a great audience. You said yourselves that from time to time, you recognize people at multiple shows. Whether they're there for the main acts, they still sit through your performances as well. Isn't that what you told me?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Then have great faith, like I do, and wake up. We'll be ready to start in five minutes."

She walked away, smiling wide and I took a deep breath. "If I could get a general idea of what the early release sales were, I would know how excited to be. This waiting is killing me. It's like when we had to wait and see if anybody would play the first two singles on the radio for us."

"Leann, chill. We've got this. And even if it's not a lot..."

"We get dropped if it's not a lot, Ava."

"Well, at least we wouldn't have to deal with Chauncey."

I smirked at Torii's comment, finding it sad that not having to be around Chauncey could be a positive side of getting dropped from the label if we don't succeed.

One of the record store employees came and handed us all fresh bottles of water, along with some sharpies, and excused herself to finish preparing for her shift. She had wanted to sit and talk with us, to ask questions, but her boss wouldn't allow it.

That five minutes passed by quickly, and before I could even think of any other negative possible outcome, Brandy was standing behind us, counting down the seconds until the doors opened. Thankfully, we weren't facing the door, or a window for that matter. I would have hated to look up, look out and see nothing. "Five, four... three, two-" Brandy stopped and held her breath as we heard door locks click and turn. "One."

Over the intercom, blasting throughout the entire mall and shopping area, we heard the general manager speaking. "Good Morning, and welcome to West Haven. We hope that you find all of your needs today. As you shop within our many stores, be sure to stop by the F.Y.I. record shops and get your copy of the debut releases from MCA music label artists Fly Girl, and Xclusive. Both groups are in both stores hosting autograph signings for release day. Get in, get there, and meet two of the newest and hottest groups in music today."