15| The Official Beginning (Work & More Work)

Leann -

The first week sped by so quickly, but we finally completed our official demo and as soon as the final song was mixed and mastered, Chauncey rushed it out to catch up with Xclusive's demo as it was still being shopped to labels. They were hoping they could get both groups picked up by the same label, but so far, no one had bitten or liked the vibes we were giving out.

Chauncey, as he always is, was pissed and upset, but Brandy reassured the eight of us that it had nothing to do with us. According to her, while a label could actually like something, they often held their true feelings back when it came to kid and teen artists. Sometimes, they wanted to get a plan for how to market us in order first; that way, the debut albums wouldn't fail and they wouldn't lose money, and we wouldn't end up in debt the first time out when they tried to recoup money for their promotion and marketing. It made sense to me.

Yesterday, we began our week of photoshoots and press packages, along with some of the performance reels they wanted to have in case a network wanted to start the buzz on us sooner than Chauncey hoped. The hours were long, very long, and with the limited amount of sleep we've been able to get, it surprises me that any of us are able to function. It felt like, last night, as soon as we laid down and closed our eyes, we were popping back up and rushing to shower and get dressed at 5 a.m., and back across town to the photographer's studio by 6:30.

It was complete chaos and madness, but it was so exciting and exhilarating. The ripping and running, slight pressure to be and look perfect; I liked it. It set in very quickly that I was doing the right thing, making the right choice in bettering my future.

Brandy was looking back and forth between us and a clothing rack, I guess trying to guess our sizes. She already had a good take on our personal styles, and the outfits for the very first shoot yesterday were so dope. Of course, she stated that while we can rock the tomboy style that was becoming popular, at some points we'd have to show our feminine side as well. Troy, Torii, and Ava were all down for that. Especially Troy and Ava; they were girly girls, right down to getting their nails done and wearing excessive amounts of pink without complaining. Torii, she loved that makeup was an important part of our look, already the first to hop in a chair to get her face made up. And me; I wouldn't necessarily say that I was just completely tomboy-ish, but the whole dressing up and over-the-top makeup didn't always fly with me. "Leann, I think that pink is your color."

"Think again, Brandy."

"I like pink." She handed a skirt to Ava and quickly went back to looking at the clothing rack. "Does it have to be so short?"

Brandy spoke without looking at any of is. "It only looks short; it'll stop at your knees. This blue top and these black slacks are perfect for you Troy. I'll see about finding you some type of blazer since that's strapless though."

Troy nodded, also making note that her and Torii's dad would be thrilled at her being the one that stays covered up. "Thank you, Brandy." She excused herself to go and get changed.

"Troy, when you come back, look around to see if you can find some black heels in your size."

"Okay!"

Brandy turned back to the racks, thanking one of the photographer's assistants as she rolled in three more; things for males and females. She called out to Raymond and Marliss, handing them suit jackets and a few pairs of shirts just as soon as she'd picked them out. "Here boys; colors and mixing and matching is still kind of big right now." She looked up at them and smiled. "White will look great against your skin tone Tariq. Try out different color shirts to go with it though. Come back and let me see." He nodded and walked off before she turned to Raymond. "And Raj, I like this royal blue on you. That was a great color for you yesterday. Pair it with this yellow shirt, I think that's going to look good."