10| Trial Two (A Not So Perfect Fit)

Leann –

April 15th marked a huge moment in my life. At least, I considered it to be huge. After patiently waiting three weeks, I was finally getting my chance to make a better life for my brother and myself the one way I knew could bring guaranteed success. That is, if I fit whatever these people were looking for.

After leaving KC with Jay, and being assured that all would be fine; I packed up a few of my things and took the plane trip out to California by myself. Just as she'd paid for my ticket, Ms. Monroe offered to fly and get me herself, but I told her not to make such a huge fuss.

It was enough that she'd really considered me, and then called me back to let me know that the spot was mine before the guy over her even cleared the groups' switch up. I felt the least I could do was give her one less thing to worry about in what I was sure was a busy day for her.

Once I landed, I found a payphone and called back home just to let Jay know I'd made it safely, before walking around for a few minutes to spot the person who'd be picking up me up.

To my surprise, it was this huge buff guy and a girl that looked no older than twelve years old. His daughter, I assumed. Seeing her hold up the card with my name, as she nodded her head to whatever she was listening to through her headphones, I walked over and smiled before clearing my throat.

She reached at her side and turned off the Walkman that I spotted. "Are you Leann? I'd say the last name, but I don't want to mispronounce it."

I nodded. "Comeaux, and yes."

"Nice to meet you." She extended her hand, and wanting to be polite, I accepted and shook hers. "I'm Troy Mercier, I'm in the group as well." I looked her up and down, shocked.

"I thought it was a teen group."

She rolled her eyes slightly before smiling again. "I'm not ten, eleven, or twelve, if that's what you thought. And it is, I just happen to be the youngest." Pointing next to her, I looked at the big and buff dude who was face first in his pager, trying to read a code. He reminded me of a light skinned version of Tommy from Martin, but taller with hair and bigger muscles. "That's Kyrie, and normally he'd be acting as our bodyguard."

He looked at me before giving an uneasy smile. "Yet, I always get stuck with chauffeuring duties. Hello Leann, and welcome to California. Are you excited to be here?"

I nodded, lifting my bag up over my shoulder. "Very. Even more excited to be getting a chance with this group and music thing."

Troy smirked. "Let's just hope that we finally get the chance to do some work."

"What has it been so far?"

She chuckled, offering to take my bag for me. I politely declined before we started walking, making our way to wherever they'd park. "Nothing but rehearsing songs that no one will hear us sing until vibes within the group are right."

I nodded, scared to ask the next question sitting on the tip of my tongue. "And uh, am I the only replacement?"

"Yes."

I nodded. "No offense, but I was half expecting to be welcomed by another adult, rather than one of the group members."

"None taken, and it was supposed to be Brandy. Since she was having a little trouble getting away and she didn't want you to wait too long, and I got tired of watching Xclusive rehearse, I offered to come and meet you. Truthfully though, I wanted to meet you first anyway."