34| Secrets, Rejected Deals, & Sweet Moments

Troy –

Sitting on the living room couch, I stretched out and rested my legs in Marliss' lap as I nodded my head and rapped along with Dr. Dre's A Nigga Witta Gun. He was laughing at me the entire time, but I didn't care. He would either love this side of me too, or he wouldn't. Made me no never mind.

"You swear that you are so hard, Troy."

"Would you please let me have my fun? Y'all won't let me leave this apartment, or do anything remotely entertaining. Let me enjoy my guilty pleasure, please."

"Hardcore hip-hop, dirty rap, that's your guilty pleasure?"

"That and you, but you aren't ready for all of this yet, so all I've got are The Chronic and Doggystyle albums."

He chuckled. "Girl, I'm more than ready. I'm just patiently waiting because you asked me to."

I smiled, focusing back on my music. In a way, I was glad that everyone else stayed gone all day long. I wasn't that hype about Marliss making himself comfortable all day every day, in my personal space, babying me, but I enjoyed the attention from him. It made me realize how much I missed him now that we weren't around one another as often anymore.

"I like when you say certain things."

I looked at him, lowering my eyes. "What?"

"Your accent, it's thicker than mine when you don't force yourself to talk without it and you just sound so cute and country."

"You know what, you're on your way to being put out."

Marliss moved my legs to the side for a moment, leaning forward before he kissed me. He sat back down, repositioning my legs in his lap before he pulled my slippers off and started massaging my feet. "You wouldn't really put me out, would you? Nah, you'd miss me too much."

"I doubt it."

"Mmhm." I put my head down, focusing on what I'd been trying to write for over a week, looking in every direction possible as I tried to think. Then, before I could stop him, Marliss grabbed my notebook, holding it away from me because he knew I wasn't supposed to be making any sudden movements.

"Give it back, Tariq!"

He shook his head, licking his lips before he started reading out loud after clearing his throat. "In an instant, my heart stopped and I knew that it had come across and connected with it's missing half. It came along with the gentle spirit, a tender soul belonging to a young man destined to be a great lover, and an even greater friend."

"Tariq, stop."

"I like when you say my real name, you know that." He shushed me, continuing to read aloud as I hung my head in shame. "I sat quietly, watching with thoughts of forever playing back in my mind as he took the time to learn all that he could about the things that might make him love me. And he loved me; so deeply, so honestly, touching parts of my heart that were bound to belong to no one but him."

"Please, I am begging you to stop reading and give me my notebook."

"I knew with each smile, with each peek of a dimple that eternity would be heavenly, blissful so long as I could walk through, hand and hand with him. I'd love him, forever and always." He took a deep breath, looking in my direction with a wide smile on his face as I mugged and rolled my eyes. "That's about me?"

"Nope."

He laughed, apologizing for not listening to me. "I'm sorry, but that was amazing, and beautiful. Just like you."