20| At The Top (With Someone Pulling Down)

May 1996:

Troy –

It all happened so quickly! One day we were casually celebrating the release of our debut album and the success of our first album signing, and after that weekend, we were getting calls stating that we'd debuted at number one, and Xclusive debuted at number three. Our Christmas singles had done well, only held back from the number one spot because of Mariah's All I Want For Christmas and Boyz II Men's Let It Snow re-entering the charts for their second and third years in a row, which was fine with all of us. Torii and Raymond's duet, however, burned up the R&B, Pop, and Contemporary R&B charts throughout the remainder of December, all of January, and half of February.

From there; there was literally no stopping. Trips all across the states; performances, interviews, promotion, and more. We'd even landed spots to perform on two sitcoms; though they were last minute requests, we gladly accepted.

We were in high demand, the money was officially rolling in, and we'd finally gotten to a place with Chauncey where he didn't feel the need to jump on our cases every day. We'd done what he'd required of us all, met and exceeded the personal standards he had for us, and in turn, that made him step back tremendously. As always, the girls and I were Brandy's responsibility, while he turned Xclusive over to someone else while he went to develop another act. He was still our manager; he just wouldn't be as hands on unless he had free time.

That was cool with us; gave us less to worry and stress about, made it easier for us to focus on being ourselves while still doing and giving our best in our performances.

Today, we were in Greater Manchester, on our first official trip anywhere overseas, and preparing to make our European debut. Our first stop was to the Top Of The Pops studio, and in an unusual move, we were being allowed to sing live.

That called for rehearsals, four hours worth, before our actual performance.

"Why do they want us to fill out these information cards? What if I don't want anyone to know how old I am or when my birthday is?"

"What are you fussing about now, Marliss?"

He looked at me and shook his head. I found his random blurts hilarious, especially since he'd been tripping about telling people his age ever since he turned seventeen in December. Everything he said, did, read, or saw made him feel 'old'. "Nothing."

"You're acting like you turning seventeen was such a bad thing. You're not old, you know. Besides, Ava turned seventeen in December too. Leann made her eighteen in November. Torii just made her seventeen a few days ago, and I just turned sixteen. We all get older, Goofy. Embrace it, enjoy the perks and freedom that come with growing a year older."

"I didn't say I was old, Troy. I feel old. But since you mentioned the fact that we're all older now, and you're officially sixteen now..."

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head as I looked down at my lyric sheet. "Nope."

He scoffed, and I held back my laughter as his eyes bucked for a few seconds. "You don't even know what I'm about to ask you, Ma'am."

"I do know what you're about to ask me. The same thing you ask me every time we happen to be around one another." He smirked, licking his lips as he moved closer to me. He took my lyric sheet out of my hand and held it behind his back. "Tariq-"

"I like it when you call me by my first name. I prefer it when you do it, actually."

"Give me my paper back, please and thank you. I have to get ready."