51| Another Try

April 2000 :

Torii -

Sitting on the couch, holding on to Chris and Anthony, I screamed a little too loud for their liking when the episode of Soul Train we were watching came back on and they announced Troy was about to perform.

Anthony looked at me and rolled his eyes before letting out a deep sigh, climbing down from my lap and heading straight for Crystal. I just laughed, apologizing before I turned the TV up and rested my head on Raymond's shoulder.

"I can't believe she finally did it."

"Me either, but this is just a test run. So many think she's doing an entire album, but she's testing herself to see if she's finally comfortable being alone."

"She should know that she'll do just fine." I nodded in agreement with Daddy after hearing his voice. He took a seat on the arm of the couch, sipping on a beer. "My child, my child. She's got it, I just wish she wasn't so afraid to let go and get out there for herself."

I smiled, knowing the reason. "Because, she's always so worried about hurting or leaving others behind. It took forever to assure her that I was perfectly okay with her doing anything without me."

Don Cornelius finally said her name, and the audience applauded as the beat to her song began. And when they zoomed in on the stage, there my baby sister stood in this amazing, red dress. It was off shoulder, stopped at the top of her thighs. With her hair cut short in a pixie, she was giving me every bit of the late 80s tease that she was serving. While she was still a small thing, she had a good amount of hips for that dress to hug properly as she moved across the stage.

She smiled, waving to the few audience members that called out her name or whistled as she moved her body to the beat. "Holding you in the moonlight, the feeling's so right. I know you've been waiting. Ooo, your eyes say you want me but my heart says hold on; you've gotta be patient. If it's special enough, Baby, why must we rush? We've gotta be strong. And I promise to give you my all. No, it won't take too long. But you've gotta save your love for me. Slow down so I can love you better; cherish this moment for life. Slow down, let's just share this dream together, and make the magic last... for always."

I shrieked, clapping along with Chris as he quickly caught on to the beat of the song. "That's Troy?"

I nodded. "Sure is. That's your big sister."

"Why are you here?"

I laughed, ruffling his curly hair for a second before I focused back on the TV. "Because, this moment is for Troy only." I smiled wide, absolutely loving her entire performance. It was giving me those old Soul Train vibes. Like, back in the day when Don let people sing live. The audience was genuine in their opinions, and you could see it in their face that they were just as proud as we were.

"Slow down, slow it down. It will be so easy... giving myself to you, yeah. True love is worth waiting for, that's what makes it special. Hold out for a love made in Heaven. La-da, da-da, da da... slow down." She paused for a moment, smiling. "Whoaaaa yeaaah!" And the instant her tiny ass slipped into her whistle, that's when I realized she'd been singing live the entire time.

"Lord!" Everybody looked at me and I shrugged. "That girl good! She good!" Raymond burst out laughing, knowing that I was quoting Coming To America. He also knew why I was shouting. She didn't do a single high note on the actual recording, in spite of his suggestions while he was producing for her.