47| All By Herself

December 1999 :

Troy -

Two days after concluding a meeting with Sony, mainly the executives Marliss dealt with directly, I found myself in a studio. Looking around the spacious booth, and down at the lyric sheets I'd brought in with me, I shook my head... wondering how I'd let him talk me into this. How I'd managed to talk myself into it.

I guess it was true that I missed singing, though I still didn't miss a thing about Fly Girl, Ava or Leann. But until recently, it had been the furthest thing from my mind. With my MS symptoms coming and going as they pleased, completely wrecking my nerves and body most times; all I wanted was a lengthy period of time to be and feel normal.

Of course, Marliss noting and bringing to mind that even through my hardest times, there was literally no moment that had passed when I wasn't singing, writing, or talking about music and the industry in some form or fashion.

I suppose, I missed performing most. When I sat and thought about it for long periods; I missed just getting on a stage and dancing, belting out songs by my idols and connecting with the fans. And of course, along with the letters of well wishes and prayers came the regular fan letters, asking when I was going to return. I replied to as many as I could, but of course, I could never shake the feeling that I owed my personal fans a lot more than what I'd been willing to give.

Hell, I'd even gotten tired of having to go and play old soundtrack singles and duets between myself and Marliss.

"Are you doing two songs, or do I seriously have to settle for one?" I looked at Marliss as he sat behind the mixing console, wondering if he had a real attitude. "I mean, I get to produce the first official Troy Mercier track; I just wanna know if I get to really go all in with this."

"How many did I tell you at the meeting?"

"Sony suggested a five single EP, I let them know that would never happen and you said at least three. However, I'm saying two because I don't feel like chasing or fighting you behind the third. I'd like our relationship to remain in a good place after this." Meaning, he's about to work every last nerve that hasn't been ravaged by my last episode. "Let me know what you want to do."

I shrugged my shoulders and grabbed the headphones that had been resting against the music stand. "I mean, I could do three. It's not like I have a real reason to object to it."

"What was that?"

I rolled my eyes, knowing in my heart and mind that he'd somehow managed to get that on tape. "I said that I will do three songs. Damn." He smirked, flashing those dimples, but for the first time since knowing him; they made him look so unattractive. "But listen; when I tell you that I'm not feeling something, or not feeling well in general, we have to stop. I know you like to push yourself and the artists you work with, but that can't be done with me. Not because I feel I'm special or anything, but-"

"I know, Baby. And I promise I will try not to get on your nerves."

"Don't make promises you know you'll break. Anyway, I'm doing the two covers. I got permission and rights for the other myself, over a year ago."

"Were you planning on this?"

I shook my head. "Nope. I actually wanted it for Fly Girl, but aside from Torii, no one else could handle the way it's sung, so..." Marliss nodded. "Anyway, the third song can be an original, written by me, and a..." I cleared my throat, and lowered my voice, praying he wouldn't hear me. "... a duet."

"With you and who?"

"You, dummy."

Rubbing his hands together, cackling as his smile widened, Marliss nodded. "Bet, and I got that on tape so no reneging." I know he's probably upset that I waited until a month after he completed his album to suggest the duet. "I wish I could stop the final mixing and add it to my album."