Interlude #3 : A Review With Leann

May 2004 :

"Do you believe it was fair for Troy and Torii to jump Ava like that?"

Leann laughed, shaking her head. "First of all, Andrea, they didn't 'jump' her. And though they could have, they never actually fought for, with, or because of one another. There were times when one could have stopped the other, but ..." She shrugged. "Anyway, they didn't jump Ava. Now, did they have a right to beat her ass separately, on the same day... literally ten minutes apart? Did Torii have a right to catch her ass slippin' a few days later and beat her ass again, for general purposes? Fucking right."

"And you, why'd you fight her?"

"See, all the shit she said about me was true. I was upset because she had no right to put me on blast. Me going in and out of rehabs, that was MY business, some shit she only knew because each time I got sent back, they were all rooting for me to come out completely done with drugs. And the only reason she beat me was because I was inebriated. But what she said about them girls-" Leann shook her head. "Come on now, Troy had her little attitudes. And sometimes she could come off prissy or as if she thought she was better than someone else, and it wasn't intentional. She might have acted or talked like she was a little fast, but that girl wasn't no big ass hoe like Ava tried to make her out to be. Troy has been in love with the same dude since 1995, and that was before they even made the shit official, so I don't know where Ava even got that big ass lie from. That girl was a homebody, she didn't even like to go to clubs for appearances that we got paid for, we had to drag her. She was never anywhere without Marliss, unless he just happened to be out touring, and then she chose to stay home if she could. Once she turned seventeen, she'd go with him if she was able to. On top of that, she was sick; sometimes to the point where she could hardly get out of bed or move a single finger. Majority of her free time, after the very first time she passed out was spent in hospitals or in bed... with Marliss watching her to make sure she did what she had to do to get better. And banging out the band? Those were grown ass men, with wives and kids, and Ava was the only homewrecker, so she was talking about her damn self and naming Troy as a cover-up."

"What about what she said in regards to Torii?"

"What about it? I was the drug addict, so what reason did anyone really have to believe that it was Torii. Only reason people thought it COULD be true was because it was finally 'dirt' on one of the two good girls in the group. Same with them feeling that Troy COULD have been sleeping with everybody. Troy and Torii never caused problems and that annoyed media so they hopped on whatever 'dirt' came out about them. As for Torii, the girl was gifted, knew that she had shit to do. She had plans beyond singing, and she wasn't about to mess that up."

Leann sighed again. "Look, here's something exclusive, something no one has ever heard or found out. Even through all of our fighting and bickering, even with her constantly saying fuck me and my attitude, after I continuously did stupid shit to her... Torii was there for me. Coaching me through, helping me through. I fucked myself up so bad, so quickly, had so many demons; from feeling regret over not helping my father, and not getting close to him again soon enough. Scared of dying like he died, scared of messing over my brother or dying when he needed me. Man, Andrea, I OD'd once. I was home alone and for some reason, Torii took it upon herself to push her feelings aside and come and find me because Brandy wanted to see me. Brandy had this feeling I had relapsed again, and she was right. Nobody had keys to my house except for Torii and Troy." She paused for a moment, hating that she was about to start crying. "Torii found me in my bathroom, and I was almost gone. This girl, she ain't wait for no ambulance, she ain't wait for someone to sit and decide if it was worth saving my life. She took it upon herself and she brought me to the hospital, on her own. She sat with me, prayed over me, cried for me, prayed some more. And when I pulled through, she was sitting right there. The only one, aside from my brother." She sighed. "And even after I went back to fucking up and messing over her and messing up our chances as a group... she still found reason after reason to check on me. Because she saw what that shit was doing to me. So why, what reason would she have had to get on it herself? She was smarter than that, had more to live for. Ava was full of shit, and dead ass wrong for putting it out there that she was a crack and coke fiend. So yeah, she deserved to get her ass whooped, and I'm glad Torii did it a grand total of four times before she finally 'got over' what was said and done."