56| Good News, Backstage Issues, & On-Stage 'Fun'

Torii –

Sitting in our dressing rooms; Troy, Ava, and I turned from the mirrors as the door burst open and Brandy rushed in. "Girls! Girls!" She didn't wait for us to reply before she burst into a fit of laughter. Closing the door behind her, she leaned against it and did some half-assed shimmy before rushing to hug each of us.

"Good Lawd, it must've been good!"

I burst out laughing at Troy, looking at Brandy as I waited for her response. "Not that it's your business, it's always good."

"Oop!"

"But that's not what has me so excited. The Grammy noms are in and it has been said that you're in the three or more category!"

"Aye! Now that's something to be hype about. And y'all wanted to tell me I was tripping with the approach."

I laughed at my sister, picking at her freshly cut hair. "You were tripping, but we're glad you were!"

"That's not all!" We looked at Brandy, waiting for her to continue. "Now I don't want any type of rivalry or foolishness, but Torii..., you and your sister are both up for songwriter of the year."

"Sure it's not for a shared song?"

"Positive. Troy, you've also got Song of The Year, Best New Artist, Video Of The Year, and something else I can't remember at the moment. And I heard that's not all."

Brandy moved to the other side of the room, finally taking a seat next to Leann. She'd been quiet the entire time, hadn't even stirred or moved aside from getting ready for the night's show. "Leann. I know you and I have had our differences lately. I won't say we're completely better or in an okay space, however, I want to say that I am beyond proud of you."

Her voice was low, devoid of emotion and she stared blankly in front of her, never making eye contact. "For what?"

"For your solo Grammy nomination, Sweetheart. You've got one in the hip-hop category. It would be shared with those you rapped with if you win, but it's solo apart from Fly Girl. Congrats, Daughter."

Leann only nodded, dropping her head as she offered up a low thanks. Brandy looked in our direction but I could only shrug. Leann and Ava weren't talking, and Troy and I stayed to ourselves unless we were asked something specifically. We got along best when we did that.

Pressing forward, Brandy spoke softly. "Leann, what's going on with you?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"I know I've said otherwise, but is it something that I can help you with."

"No. Please, leave me alone."

Brandy nodded, standing up. "Okay. Um, Ava, there's good news for you as well. You and Mr. Santana, two nominations." She walked back towards the rest of us, giving us each kisses on the cheeks as she congratulated us. She made a less enthusiastic exit, leaving us all to wonder what to do or say to comfort Leann before we all hit the stage.

I thought to speak up, but I also thought about how the last time I tried to step in or check on her, she'd damn near fought me to keep me out of her way and business. It wasn't as if I checked on her to be nosy. Though it sounded harsh to others, most times I couldn't care less what Leann was doing, or what was going on with her. However, I also knew that she kept things bottled up, and if left alone enough, it would end badly.