61| A Talk With Leann

September 2001 :

Leann –

I bent over, placing my hands on my knees as I tried to catch my breath. I was annoyed, angry, and ready to fight the next person that told me something stupid. More than likely, it was going to be this trainer they hired to get me and the girls back in the shape for this final tour.

He was making it his personal mission to break at least one of us down to nothing. Since Troy couldn't over-exert herself, and Torii had just given birth two months ago and could only do so much... his main targets were me and Ava.

She was content on whining. Me, I was going to knock this bastard out before the training session was over with.

"At this rate, Leann, you're going to need to work out six hours a day, every single day. You're weak! Pathetic! Fat!"

"Alright motherfucker, you've gone too far!"

He cut me off, grabbing my wrist after I swung at him. Holding my arm up, he got in my face. "NO, I've just begun! Now I can be dirty and remind you of your history, and why you're the most out of shape one in the group, however, I don't want to be your excuse for spiraling out of control again. Also, anyone who chain smokes as much you do; you should be glad I don't have you singing while running fifty laps around a track as another way to help you. You even rap off-key and off-beat, and that's a skill only perfected by Silkk The Shocker. Raise your hand to me again, next time I won't be so calm."

He let my arm go, pushing me back before he had the four of us get back in line.

All of this was pointless to me. We'd been told how the new tour was being set up. The U.S. leg, would put more focus on Troy and Torii for their project. Fly Girl would get a whole set, Ava and I would get fifteen minutes each, and they would get thirty to promote their EP. The leg overseas would be different. Full focus on Fly Girl, with us getting our usual ten or fifteen-minute solo sets. I didn't get why we had to bother learning new routines, why we had to bother being in sync with one another, or any of the old things we used to do.

It wasn't about all of us anymore, and I was tired of being in the business of making others look good. "Can I just go? We all know any song featuring a rap from me is getting cut from the set list, and if I do get to rap, I don't dance."

"How about you suck up your tears and get to work!"

Another five hours passed before he decided he'd done enough. Stretched out on the floor of the rehearsal hall Brandy rented out for us, I stared up at the ceiling, speaking my mind to the girls for the first time in a long time.

"I can't wait for all of this to be over."

"We only have a few more days to deal with that guy Leann. I mean, he's nothing like our former trainer, but you can't deny that we were all in terrible shape. When's the last time we truly went all out; more than just standing there and singing, and moving around a little." Sure, we had stopped doing choreography, mainly due to not being able to rehearse when I was in my moods or Troy being hospitalized, but still. This dude was insane.

"Fuck all that, Torii. I'm talking about more than just having to train with that lunatic. I can't wait for this group to be over with. I thought I would miss it, but, I need a real break. Think I'm gonna go back to Louisiana. I can't get my brother back, so I'll come and visit him when I'm allowed to. But I need to be away from all of this bullshit. I wanna go somewhere deep, hideout in a cabin in the bayou or something. Where I can't be found. Only head out to one of the bigger cities when and if I want something."