25| Home For The Holidays (Part 1)

November 1996:

Troy –

Our final task, before we could officially go on a much needed break, was this small and intimate Motown tribute. A dedication to specific artists of the original label and imprint that were still living, and a few of those that had passed. Unsure of what to do with two groups of teenagers initially, and certainly unsure of how we'd do, the producers of the tribute opted to have us all paired off. Feeling the duet vibe they'd started; I ended up paired with Marliss, while Torii got Raymond and Greg, Ava got paired with Desmond, and Leann got paired with Keith. And, they gave us all Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell songs. That was fine with me, until they came at the last minute announcing that I'd be 'debuting' a Tammi song that had been sitting in the vaults for years, unheard. Marliss would be doing the same for a Marvin song; but to say we felt no pressure would be a lie.

Finding out immediately after that how Motown founder Barry Gordy likes our performances, or dislikes rather, would determine whether those two songs, along with other shelved Motown gems would see the light of day just kicked it into overdrive.

Who does this to teenagers? Who does this to barely established artists? Why not just release the songs slowly over a period of time and leave those of us who weren't even born at the time they were recorded out of it?

I sighed, pacing back and forth as I tried not trip or fall in the heels they had me wearing. Brandy was trying her best to calm my nervousness, but nothing was working. "You all did wonderfully with the duets. Not to mention, you and Tariq singing If This World Were Mine, Child, I'd swear your young behinds were in love or something."

He just happened to be walking by, trying his hardest not to spit out the water he was drinking. I just shook my head and cleared my throat. "Thanks for the attempt at boosting my confidence but this is a song that no one has heard since whenever it was recorded, probably over thirty years ago. No one outside of Hitsville has heard this."

"And if there's anyone that can sing it, and sing it as beautifully, it's you. Now relax, Troy. After Tariq finishes, you're going on. You're both going to do great."

Hearing his stage name being called, Marliss took a deep breath and thanked Brandy for her words before walking on stage, singing immediately since his song began two seconds after the band began.

Brandy pulled me into a comforting embrace before we both turned to watch Marliss as he walked the stage, one hand in his pocket with the microphone held up to his mouth by the other. He smiled wide as he sang, giving his clear and crisp rendition of what everyone was certain would have been a Marvin classic had it been released. I couldn't help but laugh a little, noticing how a little bit of that Tennessee accent and twang came out in the way he pronounced certain words; but nonetheless, he sounded amazing, and from what I could see, those in the audience were enjoying it. I could see some snapping, some clapping. Mr. Gordy and Mr. Robinson were nodding their heads, but Mr. Gordy had his eyes closed. I couldn't tell if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I spotted members of the current Temptations lineup, bobbing their heads and clapping along. Mary Wells of the Supremes smiling and dancing in her seat. Some of the well-known writers, members of their legendary in-house bands. I could only hope that they were pleased with my performance as well.

The band kicked it up another notch, and Marliss paused for affect before slipping off into a quick high note, continuing on to the end of the song. "Night after night, I lay staring at my ceiling. Wondering where you are, who you're with, and what you feel. Ohhh, I've been forgotten, but Lord knows I can't forget you. It's a desperate situation. Yeah! Oh, this foolish heart of mine still loves you, yeah. It's a desperate, desperate situation." Chuckling at the round of applause he got, Marliss took a bow before thanking everyone, extending his hands in acknowledgement and thanks of Mr. Gordy, himself, giving a nod of approval.