14| Playtime Is Over

Ava -

"This is it Girls. We've officially found the perfect combination, and you are Fly Girl. These last few months have been a bit crazy, you've had time to play around a little while we figured out who belonged here, who wanted to be here, and who didn't. But the games and the fun part of this, for now, are over. You see, while your brother group is currently being pushed out into the market, albeit a whole month behind, you're even further behind than they are." Brandy looked at each of us, her face holding a stern look that let us know this was strictly about business and nothing else. "Chauncey, though he is naturally an asshole, finally listened to me when I stated that our entire process being held back will be worth it. And I honestly believe that. See, there's already a small amount of hype surrounding both Fly Girl and Xclusive. Chauncey's known for bringing out stars, setting them up with hit makers and coming out on top with number ones, platinum and gold status albums, and so much more. He's never had groups before, only solo artists, but it's already been put out into the media that we're honing some of the greatest talent to come out this decade alone. It's pretty much known and guaranteed that with both projects, he cannot fail. It's being said that whether you last beyond a first album or not, you will succeed the first go 'round. I believe that as well, though my belief in you all extends far beyond just one album or even just a year or two."

Brandy cleared her throat and began pacing back and forth in front of us as we all sat on stools in the studio owned by her husband. "You're all out of school for the summer, I've made it clear to those with guardianship and some type of responsibility over you all that I intend to keep you all for a month, a month and a half should something else go wrong. But I doubt it will. Within that month, we have one week to finally get this demo completed. We have one week to take photos, shoot a sizzle reel, and create press packages. One week to record one additional song; a buzz single, as well as rehearse choreography and set the stage for a debut performance. Though, I'm still not sure who's show you'll be debuting on. I'm trying my best to secure Leno, because you can reach a very wide audience through him and we have to hit the ground running." She took a deep breath, stopping and looking at each of us for a few seconds. "While you will be marketed as a unit, a complete group, we also want to make it known that you are individuals with individual strengths and talents. Sometimes you all will dress alike, but most often you won't. You'll have your individual stylists; you can create whatever looks suit your personalities. But please understand that there will come moments where formal and evening attire will be required. Get used to wearing dresses and heels if you aren't already."

I raised my hand. "Excuse me, I have a question."

"Yes Ava?"

"I don't want to seem rude when I ask this, I mean absolutely no offense by it, but..." Brandy looked at me, motioning for me to continue. "You're not going to try and make us sound or dress like those preppy, white Disney acts, are you? It's just that; some teens today, we look for representation in the groups that we listen to. I wouldn't want to misrepresent for any little Latina kid that might be watching me one day."

She smiled, shaking her head. "No, you girls will not be whitewashed. Believe me, I came in understanding that might be a concern for whoever got chosen. And Girls, if you ever feel uncomfortable about something you're told, something that's suggested, or something within the lyrics that you're given; speak up. Never be afraid to speak up because I always want to make sure that you're all happy and comfortable."

I nodded, and Troy raised her hand next. "Yes, Troy?"

"You said you'll be giving us lyrics and songs, and I understand that not all artists can have a lot of say in their first albums. That's fine, but if we're successful... no, when we're successful, if we keep going up in numbers, will we be allowed more of a say in future content. I'm a songwriter, so is my sister, and I believe Leann said that she writes as well."