59| When The Truth Hurts

Ava –

Sitting in the waiting area of the emergency room, I shook my head in total disbelief. Yeah, we all had our differences with one another. Some caused more shit than others for no reason but that didn't mean any of us had a right or reason to sit up here and act as if we weren't concerned about the wellbeing of another.

With the exception of Torii, at one point or another, we'd been laid up in a hospital and we'd been there for one another. Troy especially. She should have been the main one showing some type of concern, compassion, something.

But she sat there with a stale look on her face as if this didn't affect her. As if it wasn't, partly, her fault.

"You were the last person to talk to her privately."

"Yeah, after she almost ruined my night, one I was enjoying until she showed up. But you know, nobody ever mentions her randomly popping up and trying to swing on people during her drug fueled moments of anger."

"None of that should matter! She's fighting for her life."

"And when she makes it, she's going to go back to doing the same old shit! You want me to feel bad because she binged for over a week? I don't. And I'm not sorry. How many times have we tried to help, Leann? How many times has she gone right back to snorting or shooting up? You're not going to place blame on me or make me feel bad because she CHOSE to do a full blown drug binge because she was in her feelings after Marliss wouldn't let her fight me. Or because she feels shorted behind a damn ten-minute solo performance. Or whatever other ignorant reason she chooses. I do not and will not feel bad. What I will do is pray, because that is how I was raised and how I was taught. But I won't ever feel bad for the decisions she makes. She is grown, and if she really wanted help, if she really wanted to stop she would have done so already. And you're not going to say I'm at fault just because she started the shit after she and I got into it. That's what you're not going to do, Ava."

She sat back in her seat, putting on a set of headphones immediately after.

I felt disgusted by her entire reaction, and it only confirmed how great the divide between the four of us was.

As I was about to get up to step outside for some fresh air, I spotted Leann's friend Jay and KC walking down the long corridor that led to the entrance and exit.

"Have they said anything? How is she?"

KC walked straight to Troy and Torii, accepting their hugs. "We've heard nothing yet Jay, but she always pulls through."

"Yeah Torii, but how many more times can it happen before..." Jay stopped herself, sighing. "Anyway, they don't want me to bring KC anywhere near her, but it's literally killing her not to have him around."

KC spoke up. "She chooses it though." He held his head down for a moment. "I won't pretend that I didn't think the call was them saying she was already gone."

Torii looked at him, pulling him into another hug. "Hey, don't go thinking that, okay. She's not going to leave you."

Pulling away from Torii, KC walked back and stood next to Jay. "She already has, a lot of times. Sometimes I wish she hadn't even been called. No offense or disrespect because I love y'all and I know you were great friends at one point. But, I wish she hadn't been chosen. At least back home, with no money, she didn't put her focus on all of that. It was just about me. I feel like we would have made it out eventually."