Chapter one: Warm Encounter

Hiroomi Nase

         My breath could be seen in the chilly air as I nuzzled my chin into my scarf. It was freezing out here, even if it was only September. I sighed as I recalled my problem of always being chilly indoors or out. I was always chilled to the bone no matter where I was. I figured my body would get used to it sometime, but the time still hasn't come to when I could walk around without one of my scarves on.

      I sighed and hopped off the bench. It was time to check on the half-Yumo before I headed home to bed. I smiled, my nice warm bed.

    "You're late." were the first words to come out of my adorable, little sister's mouth as I walked into the Literary club room. Mitsuki was sucking on her daily flavored sucker while tiredly reading one of the stories a student wrote, clearly bored. I sat down across from her and rested my head in my hands.

     "How is my adorable, little sister doing?" Even though she was about sixteen, I still wanted to have the pleasure of calling her that. She rolled her eyes and played with her sucker.

    "Bored. And tired. Let's just go home." She started to rise, but I stopped her by clearing my throat, trying to grab her attention on the fact the half-yumo wasn't here. She sighed and sat back down, crossing her arms over her nice-sized chest.

      "Akihito isn't here yet," She said, slightly irritated that I was bossing her around.
     "And I don't know where he is." She rubbed the sucker against her lips. I groaned at her cluelessness. Just great.

    I trudged into the hallway and looked around. I could hear Mitsuki beginning to complain about how much a waste of time this was. I didn't care much, it's not like I had anything else to do. I walked down the hall and stopped in front of the janitor's closet. I knocked three times and stepped back. As if it were on cue, the half-yumo opened the door with a thud. He's as clumsy as ever these days.

     "Ow. . ." He said as he rubbed his head. I only assumed he'd be hiding since I attempted to kill and capture him last week when his half-yumo side was overpowering him. I looked down at his dirty blonde hair. It was messy, but in a cute way. I outstretched my hand to help him up. He looked up at me with big, brown eyes. I was taken aback by his appearance. It was almost like he was a small child who wanted someone to play with.

      He took my hand and I almost gasped out loud. I lifted him up and he smiled at me. His smile was bright and carefree. I smiled back at him, almost blushing at his child-like appearance.

     "Thanks. Hiroomi, right?" His voice. His voice was partially deep and he mumbled his words. Another thing that made my heart beat faster was how he already knew my name. I never recalled introducing myself to him formally. Last time I saw him, I was trying to capture him. His appearance was different back then. It was more yumo-like.

       "Y-yeah. Akihito, I presume?" Why did I stammer? We shook hands and my God were his hands warm. I didn't want to let go, and instead of letting go, I didn't. Our hands never departed. He half-smiled at me and awkwardly chuckled.

     "You can let go now." I realized I've been holding his hand for an inappropriately long amount of time. I slowly let go and grinned. Such warm hands.

      "Sorry about my perverted brother. He can't help himself." Mitsuki startled the both of us as she snorted at me. My heart pained at her hurtful words such as "perverted." She leaned toward Akihito and examined him up and down.

    "Your human side looks better on you than your yumo side." As she eyed him more, it made me cringe. I didn't know the right reason for my reaction, but I told myself it was because my little sister was complimenting a guy who wasn't me. I butted in front of her and shrugged.

   "Speaking of which, you don't need to hide from us. We are not going to lay a hand on you unless you go yumo-crazy." Akihito looked almost relieved by my words. He crossed his arms and eyed us.

    "Oh, right, like I'm afraid of scarf boy and his stubborn sister." His voice was sharp, but I started to imagine my sister and I in matching superhero outfits and I started to get tingles. On the other hand, my little sister was offended.

    "Like you're one to talk!" She growled as I blushed at my vision.
     "Scarf boy and his stubborn sister, I like the sound of that."
     "Shut up, you pervert!" She whacked both of us on the head.
     "Ow!" We said in unison. She groaned and started to walk away.
     "So much for not laying a hand on me." He said in the smallest voice. I looked over at him and smiled.

    "She can be stubborn sometimes." We shared a small laugh and I grinned at him. I liked this human side better as well.

    His voice was better, his soft face, his pretty eyes, and his warm hands. Unlike my hands, which were always cold and numb, his were thriving and warm. They were even a little sweaty. And I didn't mind that one bit.

A/N: Next Update: August 26th