Chapter twenty-three: Uncertain

Hiroomi Nase

"I'm just warning you beforehand about what Izumi plans on doing. Just be careful. I'd hate for her little brother to get hurt because of this." Her words invaded my mind once again as Akihito walked me home. We were silent, almost uncomfortable. He kept his distance, almost like we were in bubbles and unable to pop them. I sighed deeply and glanced over in his direction. What could he be thinking about? I didn't feel like having an argument with him about whatever was on his mind. Maybe another time, another day where less traumatic things happen.

I lift my hand up to my forehead and to move the hair out of my way. I once again glance over at him. His face looked concerned and busy. His large, brown eyes were drowsy and his mouth stayed a straight line. Maybe he doesn't wanna talk either, I thought and dropped my hand. The silence was starting to get to me. I couldn't help but blurt nonsense just to fill the air.

"I can see where you get your childish personality from." I smirk, referring back to my encounter with his mother, Yayoi. He jumped at my sudden words like they were fireworks. He was left speechless, he sighed, and kept walking. I could see the familiar blush forming on his cheeks from my banter. I decided to continue to lighten the mood.

"How come you never dress up for no-good-reason?" I heard him groan and stomp his foot.

"Would you stop comparing me to my weird mother?!" There it was, his embarrassed, child side. I just chuckled and swung my arm around his neck. He groaned again and clenched his fist.

"What's wrong, Akkey?" The words were spoken wrongly, like a mother to a child. He peered at me and sighed.

"What were you and my mother talking about?" My arm felt numb against his neck. I slid my arm away and prepared to lie.

"Nothing–"
"Don't lie to me," he jabbed. We stopped in our tracks and watched the ground. My eyes moved along the road till it reached a tree and went off from there. The sky was clear and leaves were nowhere in sight. The sky doesn't fit the scenery.

I took a deep a breath, "Akihito," he perked up and readied his listening ears. I bit my bottom lip as I reminisced the conversation from earlier.

"Let's just say, whatever happens, I'll protect you. No matter what." I couldn't tell him, he wasn't supposed to know about anything, not even a little. I felt my hands shake slightly as I shoved them into my pockets to hide. Akihito's face hardened and he continued to walk.

"Fine, don't tell me." He stomped away as I struggled to start moving again. Once I took a step, he turned back around. He walked back over to me and got really close.

"Actually, why can't you tell me?" He said with an irritated tone. Oh boy, I thought and tried to think back for the reason why.

"He mustn't know about any of it, it isn't certain yet, and we don't want him to lose control because of it." Yayoi's words pierced my heart. Why not tell him? Won't it be easier if we did? But then I realized why. The feeling of betrayal could trigger his yumo side and he'd go on a rampage. The feeling of betrayal...I closed my eyes and gathered a sentence to speak.

"It is uncertain of whether or not it is the truth, therefore I am unable to tell you." I searched for his reaction. He almost didn't buy it, almost.

"Fine then, tell me when it is certain." He mocked and grabbed my hand to lead me home. I let out a breath of air that was trapped inside. Thank goodness that came out right.

When we finally arrived back at my front porch, I gave him a kiss on the cheek and opened the door.

"Thanks for helping me today, Akkey." I smiled and waved him goodbye.

"Hey, it's what lovers do." He grinned and I laughed while shutting the door. Once shut, I slid down against the door and groaned. Why do I feel depressed all of a sudden? I folded my arms and rested my head against them. I just needed sleep–

"There you are!" The screeching voice that belonged to my little sister came. Her footsteps came closer and I could see her hands on her hips. She must be upset with me.

"It's six o'clock! You usually come home by three fifteen! What's wrong with you? I was about to tell Izumi on you." She chattered. My head spun as I tried to focus on her bickering. I really need sleep. I got up, kicked my shoes off, and headed upstairs, ignoring my little sister. I stripped down to my boxers and hopped onto the bed. So warm. I heard my sister walk up the stairs and enter my room.

"Hey! Are you even listening–?! Hey, put some pants on you sicko!" She yelled and covered her eyes.

"This is my room, I wear what I want. At least I wasn't naked." I then grinned evilly and sat up in my bed. I eyed her flirtatiously and stuck a finger into the rim of my boxers.

"Or unless, you want me to–" she threw the nearest thing at me. I caught it and rolled out of bed, landing on my hand.

"There is no need to throw things!" I growl and walk over to put the book back where it belonged. When I got close, her face was red from embarrassment. Such a cute little sister, my eyes couldn't move away from her. She met my eyes and lifted her foot up. She forced it down on top of my toe.

"Ow!!" I stumble back, grabbing my toe and fell to the floor. She ran away and yelled, "pervert!!" as loud as she could. Damn, I winced at the pain and crawled back into my room.

My eyes draw there attention to my fish tank. I watched the fish swim happily in the clean tank. The view was calming. I lay my head in my hand and stared at it for a long while. I counted them to make sure they were all there. 10, 11, 12...

I searched for the last one, the yellow and navy one. Where could it be hiding? I then spot the poor fish. It's lifeless body was stuck under the decorative rock. My face saddens as I go to fetch the small net. I scoop out the fish and walk over to my bathroom. I open the toilet seat and plopped the fish inside.

"It was nice knowing ya," I whispered and pressed the switch for the flush. The fish's body whirled around and around until it disappeared into the pipes. Even though it was just a fish, I felt empty. It made me think about the conversation with Yayoi.

"Izumi is trying to hire someone to kill Akihito." I remember the feeling of shock and despair fill throughout my body.

"Why?!" It was all I could say.
"I'm not pleased with it either, but Hiroomi...Akihito is dangerous. When he turns into a yumo, he's unstoppable. I...I don't want him to...be hunted either, but..." her words were scattered and unsure. She obviously didn't like the idea either. I clenched my fist from the thought of Izumi trying to kill Akihito. Why...why would she do that if he hasn't caused any trouble? I squeeze my eyes shut before having clouds vanish from my brain.

"Oh...that's right," my eyes open wide and a smile grows onto my face. I started to chuckle hysterically. Tears grew in my eyes causing my sight to lose focus. I cover half my face up with my hand.

"We were hired to k-kill him."

Next Update: February 11th