Chapter thirty-four: Unnoticeable Things

Hiroomi Nase

Finally, the sky was clear and the air was hot; Spring was alive and noticeable. Of course I was still cold most of the time, but now it wasn't as bad. I rubbed my hands together and peered over at Akihito. He had peeled his jacket off and held it over his arm. I almost wanted to ask to use it since it obviously wasn't needed for him. I sighed and nuzzled my chin into my scarf for another time as I examined the change in scenery.

Cherry blossom trees were showing off their early bloomers as the wind whistled slightly from up above. My hair whipped my forehead and blinded me for a slight second. I paused in my spot to remove the strands from stinging my eyes. Akihito turns to me and puts his gentle hand on my shoulder.

"You alright?" He laughs at my struggling. I grin and eye his jacket again. He catches me staring and hands it over.

"I don't need it now, you want it?" I hesitate, but gladly accept it and quickly wrap it around my body. The warmth from it sent a pleasing feeling down my spine. Finally, warmth. I kept the jacket tight around my shoulders and we continued to walk home. School is almost over, I remind myself. I started to wonder what Akihito's plans were for over break. Might as well ask while we were here.

"So what are your plans for over the break?" I ask in my normal, calm tone. He stares off in the distance for awhile until he responds.

"Um, I don't know yet. But I'd love to spend as much time with you as I possibly can." Even though his words were not confident, I believed them. I believed them with all my heart. I felt my cheeks turn hot and couldn't stop smiling my stupid smile. I patted both sides of my face.

"Same here." I wasn't quite sure what to say after hearing him say that. Even though my family is causing him so much trouble, he still wants to see me as much as possible. I wished my eldest sister wasn't so nosey. I meant to tell Akihito about her and to watch out for her, but what was the point? She said she would leave us alone and put her trust into me from now on. It made me happy to hear that. She was finally letting me act on my own and make decisions.

Although, I didn't realize then that Akihito was the biggest and most dangerous decision of my life. I didn't realize at that particular moment that Akihito was losing. I don't know if I just chose not to notice or if I was that oblivious to it. Sadly, I ended up finding out too late. Maybe we arrived home before I could catch onto it.

Next thing I know, I'm walking home down the street with his jacket still around me. I didn't notice the jacket till Mitsuki asked why I was wearing two jackets. I groaned, but realized it was the perfect excuse to go see Akihito again. I rush out the door and speed walk back down the street. When I reach his door, I knock and sing his name. Silence followed after my note. I lean against the door to listen for any signs of life.

"Akkey?" I say again, but more concerned this time. I just saw him enter his house, where could he had gone? I turned the knob quickly and tried to push the door open. It wouldn't budge. I stepped back, looking for an entryway. I recall Akihito pointing in the direction of the spare key. I frantically pounce in the direction and scramble to get the key in my grasp. I shove the key into the lock and open the door.

"Akihito-!" My eyes search for the blonde haired boy, but he is nowhere to be found. Had Izumi gotten him? I march into his room and see his book-bag on the bed. So he arrived inside, but where did he go? A grunt echoed into the room from the bathroom. A light scream of pain followed afterwards. I knock hard and open the door.

"Akihito, are you okay?!" My eyes became glued to the shadow shown onto the shower curtains. Akihito's body was bent over with his hands over his face. He lifted his head toward me.

"H-Hiroomi?!" He squeaks. I'm left frozen, staring at the curtain.

"Hiroomi, i-is that you?!" He reaches one hand to the curtain and moves it so he could show just his face. His other hand is over his eye. His face was bleeding red and tears filled his eyes.

     "What are you doing in here?" He said, embarrassed. His eyes zipped from mine to the wall.

     "I-I-You forgot your jacket..." I toss the jacket onto the small counter and walk over.

    "What's wrong? Are you hurt?" I stare into his eyes, obviously extremely concerned about him. Had his yumo tried to escape just then? He blinks with his one eye and chuckles.

    "Oh...that...I got soap in my eye." He laughs and becomes aware of his position. He stumbles a little, but recovers and repositions the curtain. His face was still beet red as he tried to keep his balance. I sighed and smiled. Just soap, huh?

    "Well in that case, mind if I help you–?"
    "Hiroomi, no. Get out." He pointed toward the door and his eye started to blink open. I groaned and held my hands up in surrender.

    "Fine, fine. Can't blame a guy for trying." I smirk and waltz out of the room. I don't even bother shutting the door as I plop onto his bed and wait. I lay down on his pillow and breath in his scent. The nice, warm scent of the boy I love dearly. I watched the door carefully as I waited. I looked around the room a few times before growing bored. He takes his time, doesn't he?

He was taking longer than I expected, so I closed my eyes and let my imagination run wild. I came up with scenarios that could occur after he walks into the room. I could tackle him, surprise him, maybe try to influence him. I then started to image his features more. Small ones, large ones, ones no one would pick out from the rest.  Like the way his hair fluffed on the top of his head. Or his fingers, how delicate they looked and felt, almost like a lady's. His long eyelashes gave width to his adorable eyes–.

    "Hiroomi? You awake?" My eyes flash open to meet with his. Speak of the devil, I joke and sit up. I noticed he wasn't wearing a shirt, only a pair of sweats and a towel resting on his shoulders. His body had recovered nicely from the incident awhile back with the yumo. I smiled faintly and admired my lover. He was drying his ear when he noticed me staring. He smiled on one side of his face and shook his head.

    "You can't keep your eyes off me for one second, can you?" He teases. I lean back on my hands and raise my head.

     "Guilty." I smirk as he starts to walk toward me. He bends down to kiss my chilled lips and plants one hand on the bed next to mine. He kisses me deeply, almost like it was our last.

That was another thing I liked about him that I never noticed. The way he shows affection; his kiss. He never presses too hard and never too softly. He keeps it clean until he feels my body loosen. He teases every other second by inching away and smiling to himself, probably thinking of new ways to agitate me. He would sometimes reach up and pull on my lip or chin and play with it while he seduced me with his smooth lips.

He kisses me like it's our last and I can't believe I never noticed it before. Why does he kiss me like that? Does he truly think one day it would be our last?

As our lips departed, I realized how calm his face was. The emotion made my thoughts disperse and fade away. Maybe that was just how he saw things in life. Enjoy every second, I recalled my late mother saying, because you never know when it'll end. 

Next Update: May 22nd