Chapter fifty: Smiliar Demons

Hiroomi Nase

My brain was scrambled as I witnessed several yumo crawl out of Izumi's eye. Her screams sent shivers down my spine and I couldn't look away. I couldn't believe it; she was half-yumo, too? Then why...? Her head flung back and the spirits flew out and around. Thinking quickly, I formed several cages around bystanders and myself. I gripped my scarf again and started to kill off some of the yumo. The amount was overwhelming. I tried my hardest to rid all of them before I was knocked to the ground again by one.

"Hiroomi!" Akihito yelled over at me. I held up my hand to enforce his cage. I can't afford anyone else being hurt after what happened the other day. I peered over at Izumi who was still releasing yumo. Her screams killed my ears, but I managed to get closer to her.

"Izumi! Calm down!" With one eye open, I could see her hand try to cover her eye. Her other hand gripped her staff so tightly that her knuckles were white. Wobbling, she tried to stand again, but fell. I was several feet away from her now. I reached my hand out to her.

"It's okay, Izumi! Take my hand!" I tried to grab her, but she just stared at me. Tears sprung from her other eye.

"S-stay away from m-me." My eyes shook at the sight of her weak self. What has she been enduring? I blinked back into the moment and tried to come closer. She flung herself farther away from me, but I continued to move closer. I then decided to fling myself onto her.

"I'm a monster!" Screaming, she lifted her staff and I paused in my place. Those words took me back and I started to understand. I also understood that I didn't pause by myself; I was forced back by her staff. My mouth gaped open and I slowly looked down. What? Her staff impaled through my shoulder. I felt a bitter taste in my mouth and I spit it out. Blood drooled down my chin. Her normal eye widened in fear. She released her staff and I fell to the side. The last thing I saw before darkness was her eye returning to normal as she scrambled over to me.

• • •

Bright lights take away my vision as I blink rapidly. I could feel a sharp pain in my shoulder and head. I reach up with my other arm and try to adjust my eyes to the light. The first things I realize are the blank walls and ceiling of the infirmary. After a few moments of trying to remember how I got here, I notice Akihito sleeping soundly in the chair next to me. He slept with his arms folded on the edge of the bed with his head snuggled on top of them. His peaceful face made all the pain diminish. I smile to myself, Akihito. I grab his hand and my insides become fuzzy. His warm hands, I thought as I continued to use him as a heater. I then reached over to pet his head. His hair wasn't as soft as I remember it being, but then I remembered some events; the fights, his breakout, the sudden surprise from Izumi. I pause...Izumi.

I wrack my brain to try to make sense of it all. I couldn't believe it at all. Was what I saw real? Is Izumi really half-yumo, too? And if that's true, then what about me? Mitsuki?? Nothing was making sense. Another thing that confused me was that Akihito was here. He was safe, free, and peacefully sleeping next to me. Was he no longer a threat? Before I could wake him up, my door opened to reveal a guard.

"Good to see you're alive and well, Mr. Nase." He whispered after noticing Akihito's motionless body. I sat up and cleared my throat to speak, but he cut me off.

"Mrs. Nase would like to speak with you when you are ready. She's waiting in the living room down the hall." And with that, he left. I felt my heart sink a little. Maybe we'll be able to talk this time without yelling or fighting.

I gently lifted the covers, so I wouldn't disturb Akihito, and got out of bed. I slipped on a pair of waiting slippers and silently left the room. I limped down the hallway and turned into the living room. I saw the back of Izumi's head as I entered the room. I did not wait for her to seat me, like usually, instead I went to sit down. She sipped her tea and looked away from me with a stoic face. Her expression was cold and lifeless. I frowned.

"Would you care to explain what the hell happened yesterday?" She flinched when I suddenly started talking. She looked down at the tea set and placed her cup down. Her eyes did not move away from the cup.

"I was a part of a yumo experiment a few years ago." Her words hung in the air. I kept hearing them over and over again until it started to make sense. So her's are artificial yumo? I nodded at her so she could continue.

"At the time, I only cared about becoming more powerful. I didn't think I would become...half of a demon." Her face lowered.

"I couldn't stand it, so I dropped out of the experiment." She got up from her seat, restless and uncomfortable. My eyes followed her to the window where she sighed and covered her corrupted eye. I peered down at my cold hands and started to understand what she was going through. She was the same as Akihito. The exact same except she made herself this way. I swallowed my anger and hung my head.

"So what I'm hearing is that Akihito...reminded you of yourself?" Her body whipped around and her eyes were wide. I hit the nail on the head. She lowers her head.

"I–,"
"Don't even try to argue it, Izumi. What else could it be? You are just as dangerous as Akihito. Maybe even worse. Yet, you decided to lock him up and keep yourself free? It's the same as a cop, who murdered someone, locking up a serial killer; the whole thing is hypocritical." She steps forward and I can see fire in her eyes now. I stand up from my seat.

"My orders were to lock up Akihito! This was never about me!" I step closer to her.
"It should have been!" She's lost all words to fight back with. Her eyes shift from mine to the tea. I put my hand on her shoulder and sigh.

"Why did you keep this a secret from me, from us?" I said, referring to Mitsuki, too. Wait, does Mitsuki know yet? I loosen my grip on her shoulder and try to find something in her eyes that would give me answers. They water. The light causes them to glimmer slightly, to shine.

      "I-I didn't want..." she didn't have to finish because I already knew what she didn't want. She didn't want to be shunned for being half-yumo. I forced her into my chest, squeezing her tight within my arms.

      "It's okay," I whisper into her ear as I bury my face into her shoulder.

       "Everything's going to be okay, from now on." I hug her tighter. My shoulder dampens as she bawls in my arms. I figured this was what she's been hiding from us; this sadness. I hold the back of her head. She no longer has to hold this burden anymore.

When she was done crying, we talked. We talked about what was going to happen to her, to me, and to Akihito. Apparently, because the incident was very enclosed and barely anyone witnessed it, it will be kept secret. "Everything will return to normal again," she said. "Akihito will continue to be under your control." She looked at me with hopeful eyes. She smiles. My heart fills as she grins. I don't believe I ever witnessed a good-hearted smile out of her. It makes my insides go crazy. My sister, so precious. I jumped out of my seat and trap her in a hug.

"Thank you, Izumi. I won't let you down." I said to bring back some memories of that day. That day after we found Akihito at that cabin. I begged her to let me take charge of the half-yumo. When she finally gave in, I jumped for joy. I finally felt grown-up and important.

The same excitement times a thousand, that's how I felt.

A/n: next chapter will be the last... :,,,)
I already typed most of it and I'm almost in tears guyssssss.
Help me, I'm letting my children go and I'm not readyyyyy.