Chapter fifthteen: In Between

Hiroomi Nase

      The air was becoming chillier by the second as the months passed on to November. All the cherry blossoms started to fall and the school year was halfway over. I wrapped myself up and stood at the door waiting for Mitsuki. C'mon, little sister, I sighed and felt my hair. I wasn't eager to go to school either, but Izumi wouldn't allow us to skip anymore days.

Mitsuki finally bounced down the stairs with her fingers busy trying to tie her ribbon. Her breathing was quick as she snatched her coat and slipped on her shoes.

   "What took you so long?" I asked as I adjusted my scarf so I could speak. She returned a glare and I backed off. What's worse than having an angry sister? She finished dressing and sighed.

    "C'mon lets go." She moved quickly passed me and out the door. I shrugged and smiled.

   "I was the one waiting on you." I teased and followed behind her. She kicked back and hit my shin.

   "Ow! Hey!" I lifted my leg up and rubbed the spot she injured. That really hurt. She spat at me and walked away. I whimpered and slouched as I continued to follow behind her. She's been acting strange lately. Usually I was always late going out the door in the morning, but now it's her taking forever to get ready for school.

I sneak up closer to her and keep pace with her. We walk in silence, like we always do, I peered over at her face and could tell something was on her mind.

   "What's been bothering you lately?" I say out of nowhere. She flinches and continues to look forward.

   "What are you talking about?" I sigh because I realize how hard it's going to be to get it out of her. I put my hand on her shoulder and squeeze it.

   "C'mon little sister, you can tell your big brother anything." Surprisingly enough, she didn't force my hand away from her shoulder. Instead she looked down and stopped in her tracks. I was held back and looked at her.

    "Mitsuki?" I couldn't see her eyes. Her hair hung over most of her face and her mouth was quivering. I moved to face her.

    "Mitsuki, what's wrong?" Seeing my little sister about to cry is a sight I never wanted to see. My heart felt like it was just stabbed by a cold, sharp knife. I bit my lip and thought about what to do. I inched forward and she clenched her fist.

    "What could possibly be wrong?" Her voice choked on the last word and she smiled weakly. She then blinked rapidly and walked fast past me. I whirled around and reached for her, but she slipped past me, untouched.

   "Mitsuki!" What on earth...I started to run to her.

   "Mitsuki! Stop! What's the matter?" I stepped in front of her and she veered.

   "Nothing's wrong! Just..." she stopped herself and then turned to face me. I finally saw her watery eyes. My eyebrows furrowed in shock. She's really upset.

   "Just what? Mitsuki, please tell your big brother what's wrong–" Suddenly, her body lunged forward and her arms automatically wrapped around my waist. I stood there, shocked and not knowing what to do. She's...hugging me? She then let out a few whines from within my jacket. My arms were stuck floating above her body.

   "I'm so stupid." She whimpered and hugged me tighter.

   "I kept thinking that...that you guys were forgetting about me...that all you cared about was Akihito. I'm so stupid and selfish and, and," I shushed her and finally let my hands lay against her warmth. I patted her head slowly and quieted her. So that's what's up.