Chapter eighteen: Love Under the Lights [Christmas Special!]

Akihito Kanbara

I figured it out! The perfect present for Hiroomi. Our date was tomorrow and so was Christmas. The plan was for Hiroomi to come over and then go see the lights for awhile. Then after the lights, we would exchange presents and drink hot cocoa while watching movies by my heater. A fire would be more romantic, I complain to myself.

I held on tightly to his gift that I just proudly bought. He is going to freak when he sees this! It has only been four months of our relationship, I didn't want to dive into too much of a gift. Although, it was our first Christmas together, I'd hate to ruin it with having a non-memorable present. I nervously looked down into the bag. Will he even like it? My confidence fell as I pondered more on the matter. I then stopped and took a long breath. I stared at it and fingered it...he'll like it. I then smile and continued home.

•  •  •

    The next morning, Christmas Eve, I get a call from Hiroomi.

   "Good morning, Akkey~!" He sings through the phone which tickles my ears. I giggled and simper.

   "Good morning, handsome. You ready for tonight?" I ask, all chipper and jolly from his voice. He laughs–oh his laugh!–it echoes from the phone and journeys to my ear.

   "All ready! I got your present! Can't wait to see your face, Akkey." He sounded like he really got me. Like he got me something really good that would make me really happy. I glance over at the bag containing his present. Did I really get him something nice?

   "Heh, can't wait to see your face, too." I say, not as enthusiastic as he was. He laughs.

   "See ya later, Akkey~! Love you!" He kisses the phone and makes a noise to empathize it. I laugh and kiss the air back.

   "Love you too." We hang up and I release most of the breath I was holding. My heart thumps harder. What did he get me?

•  •  •

    The time arrived, I was wearing a sweater and setting up the room. While in a rush to make things look nicer, his present peeked from around the corner from my bedroom. It was in a decorative bag. I kept having doubts about it, but I just pushed the thought to the back of my mind for the time being.

   A knock came from my front door. Hiroomi's here. I trotted over to the front mat and straightened my sweater. I looked back at the room, almost every inch was covered in Christmas decorations. I opened the door to reveal a wide-smiled Hiroomi, holing up a small present and wearing a thick scarf and a thick sweater. I jumped into his arms for a quick hug.

   "Wow, your house is really...decorative." His eyes gazed at the apartment and his legs lead him inside to explore more. I wink at him and laugh.

   "My mom is all about the holidays. This was just what I found in storage." I say as if I were proud to come from a mother as crazy as she is. Not only did she like to decorate the house, but she also would dress up for the occasion. He puts his fingers to his chin and his eyes sparkle like a child's.

   "Interesting. I will have to meet her someday." I almost scream at the thought. Not happening!

He then sees the present addressed for him and puts mine next to it. He swirls around and smiles.