Chapter seventeen: Patching Things Up

Hiroomi Nase

The December weather was really getting to me. My already numb hands were starting to stiff up. I shove them into my pockets and clench them hard. Where's Akihito when you need him. I gritted my teeth and looked for him. Christmas was coming up and I was still trying to figure out the perfect gift for him.

We decided to go on our second date out when school halts and the break starts. Three more days, I thought as I wrapped myself up tighter like it was armor. I cursed under my breath and nuzzled my neck into my scarf. Footsteps ringed in my ear as I looked up to see a breathless Akihito sprinting toward me with his school bag flying crazily by his side.

"Sorry I'm late!" He sputtered. He bent over, breathing hard. I patted his back and laughed.

"You're fine, as long as you arrive before school starts." I lied. His absence made my hands even more cold and lonely. I eagerly slithered my hand through his fingers and squeezed hard. Freshly warm, I hummed. He winced and squirmed slightly.

"Damn, your hands are freezing." He complained. My face hardened and I shuffled my feet.

"You should be used to them by now." I counter as he chuckled. He shook his head and leaned against my body. He lay his head on my shoulder and we started to trudge to school.

When we entered, my eyes met with Ayano's. I realized I haven't chatted with her since the incident. I figured it was for the best that we don't interact much. She quickly looked away after acknowledging Akihito's presence. I watched her trot away, a nervous wreck. I frowned and patted Akihito's head gently.

"Are you two no longer friends?" Akkey's words surprised me, in fact, I jumped and his head popped up. I blinked at him.

"It's just awkward, I guess." Akihito seemed disappointed in my response.

"I'm sorry." He suddenly said. I scuffed and scratched my nose.

"What for?" I ask, even though I knew where this was going. He glanced in the direction of Ayano.

"For ruining your friendship with Ayano." I was taken aback by his sudden selflessness in Ayano and I's relationship. Wasn't he jealous of her?

I crossed my arms and thought for a moment. I guess it would of been nice to at least be friends with her. I peeked at Akkey and then over at Ayano. She was fidgeting with her locker. Never have I seen her so jumpy and awkward. I lay my hand on his shoulder and squeezed it.

"It's okay, I'll patch things up." I then slid my hand off and headed toward Ayano. Now's a better time than ever.

I lean my back against the locker next to her's. Don't be too cool around her, I bicker at myself. I stood straight and cleared my throat to get her attention. She jolted and turned her face toward mine.

"H-hey Ayano," Crap, I stuttered. I shuffled on my feet awkwardly. She looked me up and down and smiled a little.

"Hey, Hiroomi, how are things?" She asks, completely casual. Um, okay...It was like nothing fazed her. It was like she was totally cool with my situation. I leaned my shoulder against the lockers.

"Things are great, how about you?" I wanted to say more, but limited it to small talk. She smiled and nodded, "Alright."

She pulled a strand of her hair out of the way and crossed her arms.

"How's the writing going?" I say, referring to her story she was working on for the Literary Club. She shrugs.

"I finished it. Would you like to read it?"

"Um, sure." I say, slightly interested. She swings her school bag around and rummages through it. She pulls out a small booklet of typed papers. She hands them over with a smile.

"Feel free to write comments, it's a copy." I take it and examine the front page.

"Gladly," Too eager? I thought as I remembered why I came over. She stepped away, telling me she had to go, when I stopped her.

"Wait, Ayano, are we...friends, still?" She chuckles like it was a stupid question. I secretly grit my teeth, slightly confused.

"Of course, why wouldn't we be?" Huh? She had been practically ignoring me every time she saw Akkey and me. How come she's so casual now?

"Well, ever since I started dating Akkey, you've been distant. I was just wondering if I hurt you in any way." She froze in her tracks and sighed a little. She looked down at her shoes and folded her hands. She then looked up with a wide smile.

"No way, silly! If you love A-Akihito, then..." she paused for a long moment and dazed off. I was about to question it when the bell ring for first period. She perked up.

"Oh! Got to go! See you!" She scurried off to class. I was left stranded. What just happened?

A hand helped me back into reality when Akihito's patted my shoulder.

"All better?" He asks. I raise an eyebrow and crossed my arms.

"I guess so..." Strange how her image changed as soon as I mentioned my relationship. Is she jealous or upset? Akihito jumped in front of me and grabbed both of my hands and swung them.

"Alright! Now let's get ready for the holidays!" He said referring to our second date. This time, it was my choice on the location. I wanted to spend the holidays with Akkey under the lights.

He continued to swing our hands when he stopped.

"Hey, Hiroomi?" He began. I smiled.
"Yeah?" He then smiled and released our linked hands. He rubbed his hairless chin and raised an eyebrow.

"What do you want for Christmas?" I narrowed my eyes at him. I thought for a second and then scuffed.

"Surprise me." Akkey then copied my body language and scuffed as well.

"Same here." We both laughed and quickly kissed before heading to our class. Of course, we were late.

Next Update: December 24th [Christmas special!]