Chapter eleven: Nightmares

Akihito Kanbara

My hands...why are they...covered in blood? I look over and I see a person barely alive on the ground. Who is that? What happened? Where am I? I soon recognize who is on the brink of death. It's Hiroomi. His back is spewing blood and is marked by three scratches.

I did that.

I caused him to bleed.

He's dying because of me.

My vision becomes blurry and I open my mouth to scream, but nothing comes out. The blood on my hands start to burn.

I awake from my bed, dripping in sweat, heavily breathing. The same dream again. I swing my legs to the side of the bed and I think about it for a moment. I have to keep reminding myself that it wasn't just a dream. It was more like I couldn't decipher if it was just a nightmare or it actually happened that fateful day. It was all a blur.

I run my fingers through my blonde hair and feel my warm cheeks. I've been having the same nightmare ever since I reunited with Hiroomi on the first day of Literary club with them.

I snatched my phone and pressed his contact number. It started to ring and I waited patiently. All I needed right now was to hear his voice. He's probably asleep–

"Yes, Akkey?" His voice groans happily through the phone. I felt better already. I smiled.

"Sorry, Hiroomi. I–uh–couldn't sleep." He would of joked if I said, "I had a nightmare," so I went with a normal excuse. He chuckled slightly and sighed through the phone.

"What is it?" I scuff at his laughter and poke my bottom lip out.

"You can't be away from me for one night." His voice was smooth and soft, it made my insides flutter.

"Yep." I popped the p with my mouth and laughed. I leaned back and made myself comfortable. I heard his wonderful, short-lived laugh through the phone, it entices me.

"So why can't you sleep?" He asked. I could hear him move around in his bed. I thought about how I was going to respond. My smile widened into a grin.

"You're on my mind too much." I joke, even though it was mostly true. A loud chuckle was heard from over the phone. I respond the same way and adjust the phone in my hand.

"Should I come over and satisfy your mind?" I could tell he was smirking intensely by now. My cheeks started to heat up as I remembered the sleepover at Hiroomi's house and began to stutter.

"B-B-But it's dark out. You'll get lost, and then I'll have to explain to M-Mitsuki that you went missing over my nightmare." The truth slipped out and I sighed. Oh great, here comes the comments.

"Nightmare?" A moment of silence lingered through our phones. I let out a, "yes" and waited for him to respond. I heard movement.

"H-Hiroomi?" I heard him grunt and his bed creak in the distance.

"I'm coming over." He said bluntly as his footsteps were now in range of the phone. My face flushed and I protested nervously.

"You don't need to–"
"Of course I have to. My poor Akkey has been haunted by a nightmare. I must comfort him." At this point, I could feel my hands grip the phone with sweat forming. I didn't have the chance to respond because he hung up. I threw my phone to the side and growled with a smile. He's such a...

Twenty minutes later, he arrived with a smile on his face, leaning on one side of my doorway.

"May I accompany you?" I rolled my eyes and invited him in. "Sure."