Chapter twelve: Titled Words

Akihito Kanbara

A ringing grew in my ear as I grumpily sat up and reached for the phone that vibrated on the table. I could feel the cool air hit my bare chest and shivered. I slept in only my sweatpants and boxers that night. I swing my legs to the side and answer the phone. An annoying sweet voice erupted from the phone.

"Good morning, Hiroomi!! I-I hope this isn't too early, but I needed to talk to you about what happened a few days ago...are you...?" Her voice trailed off as I tried to recognize her voice. It was familiar yet vague to me. I rubbed my eyes.

"Who is this?" I said in a sloppy voice. A pause, then she spoke again.

"This is Ayano...isn't this Hiroomi?" She could tell I wasn't Hiroomi for that was who she thought she was talking to. I looked behind me and saw a cuddled Hiroomi under the sheets, snoring happily in his warm slumber. I yawned, then continued.

"This is his boyfriend, Akihito Kanbara. Remember me?" I smirked, trying not to sound like a jerk as best I could. I did not think of those words, I never thought of the word "boyfriend" until I said it aloud. It made my heart skip a beat as I said them and then felt arms wrap around my waist. I looked behind me to see Hiroomi nuzzling his head against my side.

"Akihito Kanbara is my boyfriend, huh?" He smiled widely without opening his eyes. My eyes averted to Hiroomi and away.

   "O-oh...oh! That's right...wait, so Hiroomi is...?" She stretched her words, unsure of what she was portraying. I couldn't understand why she paused or what she was trying to say.  Hiroomi took the phone from my hand and smiled widely.

   "Thats right." He said happily and chuckled. I could hear her say a sad "oh" and "goodbye." He threw the phone to the side and smiled up at me. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

   "What was she talking about?" I asked while he sat up to be leveled with me. He grinned and put his arm around my neck.

   "She was asking if I was gay, silly." I never thought about the word before until he said it now. I laughed and kissed his cheek.

"I love you." I said without even thinking about it. Hiroomi smiled and kissed me back.

"I love you too, Akkey." The fact that he always puts my little nickname at the end of every sentence when talking to me, makes me feel special.

"Now," he said while picking up his phone and waving it.

"What was my little Akkey doing on my phone?" I playfully tried to grab at it, but he moved it out of my reach. I laughed and crossed my arms.

"Well, what was Ayano doing calling you?" Hiroomi froze and laughed nervously.

"Didn't she say anything?" The line of questions piled up into my head. Why does he have her phone number saved? What do they talk about? I felt a tension rise in my forehead. I gritted my teeth and pretended to smile.

"Just that she wanted to talk to you." An uncomfortable silence filled the air around us. I felt a hint of jealousy in my chest and turned away to look at the time.

"Hiroomi, we're going to be late for school." I started to get up when Hiroomi's hand clenched my wrist.

"Who cares? I just wanna stay in bed with you." He flirted. My cheeks turned pink and I kissed his head.

"Time for school, sorry." I walked over to my wardrobe, Hiroomi's arm drops, and I grab my outfit for today.

•  •  •

    We arrive at school, holding each other's hands. As we walked into the school, whispers scattered through the halls. They were all talking about us.

   "What are they doing?"
   "Isn't he a pervert?"
   "Are they dating? That's ridiculous!"
   "So weird,"

Their words piled up and burned my ears. I couldn't stand it and yanked my hand away from Hiroomi's. He looked at me funny and stopped walking.

   "Akkey–," I ran away from him. I ran away from his words and the whispers. I needed to go somewhere where I couldn't hear anything. My ears were ringing, I opened a random door and shoved myself inside. It was the janitor's closet. A broom fell on me and hit my head. I rubbed it anxiously and sighed. I could still hear the sounds of people's attempt to hide their whispers.

   "Shut up." The words slurred through my lips and I covered my ears again, and sat against the wall.

   "Just shut up–," someone knocked urgently on the door.

   "Akkey? What's wrong?" Hiroomi's soothing voice flooded the room, as well as light from the hallways. He looked down at me in shock. He bent down to meet me face to face.

   "Why are you crying?" I paused, I'm crying? I reached up and touched my wet cheek. I turned away so Hiroomi couldn't see. He put his hand on my shoulder.

  "Hiroomi, I can't..." the words were lost in my mouth. He turned my head and stared me deeply in the eyes.

  "Yes, you can, Akkey." I looked at him with an unbearable face. I fingered my lips softly and smiled innocently.

   "You're not alone." He pressed his lips against mine for a few moments.

   "Come on, we have school." He helped me up and I wiped away my tears. I mumbled, "thanks," and he took my hand again. I hesitated, not sure if I wanted to suffer the voices again. He grabbed my hand sternly and dragged me forward.

   "You are going to hold my hand, and like it." He stared back at me and winked. I chuckled lightly and held his hand.

   "That's better–" the whispers interrupted him. I could hear them over Hiroomi. It made me cringe.

   "Ew, are they, like, gay?" I was more offended by the word "ew" then anything else.

   "Sad how Hiroomi was taking by a guy. Especially that guy." Hiroomi turned toward the sound of the whisper. He marched over to the group and smiled at them.

   "Good morning ladies! I overheard you ladies chatting about my new relationship. It happens to make me the happiest man alive. I love him, he's amazing and funny and I just love him so much." The ladies froze in surprise. Huh? I thought as my cheeks burned. He smiled at the ladies one last time and turned and dragged me away. I walked behind him in shock. Did he really just say that?

   "You know, you shouldn't care what other's think." I bit my lip and loosen my grip on his hand. He turned and stared at me intensely.

   "It worries me, Akkey. Don't be bothered by them, they don't understand how amazing you make me feel." His words flowed beautifully through my ears, almost like music. I couldn't help but smile gratefully and catch up so we were next to each other. He moved his arm to around my neck and nuzzled his nose on my cheek.

   "Akkey is my boyfriend! Akkey is my boyfriend!" He sung quite loudly in the hallways. I laughed and told him to quiet down. He stole a kiss against my cheek and sung it even louder.

   "Hey! Would you calm down! The whole world can hear you." Hiroomi laughed at me.

   "That's the point!"

A/n: for xmyheart
Next update: October 31st (Halloween Special!!)