Chapter sixteen: A Special Place

Akihito Kanbara

"Hey, Hiroomi, I just realized something," we were sitting back to back on the school's roof during our lunch period. An annoying voice in my mind kept bugging me to bring this matter up, and so it finally won. Hiroomi turned his head around.

"What is it?" He asked so sweetly like he always does. Like as if he was talking to a child, his voice was smooth and soft. I kept looking at the sky while sucking on the straw of my juice box.

"We haven't really gone out on a date yet." I felt Hiroomi's body flinch against mine. He started to turn his head back around. He thought for a second, then responded.

"You're absolutely right, Akkey. Strange." I start to remember the first time we tried and we ended up getting tangled with Ayano. Well, now she's out of the picture...I thought evilly to myself. I cleared my throat and stood up, causing Hiroomi to fall backwards before noticing his support left. He looks up at me with question on his face. I take a deep breath and simper.

"Hiroomi Nase, will you go on a date with me?" As if it were a surprise, he looks up at me with wide eyes and soon a grin. I help him stand on his feet and he doesn't let   go of my hand.

   "Absolutely, where at?" I gleam at his response and swing our hands.

   "It's a surprise!" We then hear the bell and hurry to clean up.

   "I'll see you tomorrow, after school." I say joyfully. He nods and we finish up the school day.

• • •

     Tomorrow evening arrived and it was time to take Hiroomi to a secret destination. I figured this would be the perfect idea for a date in December. The thought of the place was giving me chills.

Finally, Hiroomi trotted over with his hands in his pockets. He looked excited and intrigued ever since I told him it was a surprise. I swayed back and forth and rubbed my hands together. Got to have them warm for Hiroomi! I playfully thought and handed over my palm for him to hold. He gladly clasped his hand over mine.

   "Where are we going?" He asked the second time today. I rolled my eyes and sighed at him.

   "I'm not telling you." I growled and he chuckled. He positioned his hands to my waist and walked behind me. It was at first hard to proceed with my normal speed, but we soon became in sync with each other. We waddled for awhile until I realized we were getting close to the date location. I quickly grabbed his hands and whirled my self to the back of him and covered his eyes.

   "Akkey!" He giggled and stumbled a little. He clasped his hands over top of mine and continued to laugh. You goofball, I thought as I lead him closer to the area.

I stopped his feet at the edge of the entrance and got closer to his ear.

   "We're here." I sung in his ear. He shivered with a wide grin on his face. This is going to be the perfect first date!

I freed his eyes from my hands and yelled, "ta-da!" behind him. His wide smile quickly faded to an annoyed frown.

   "Seriously?" He grumbled. My mouth pouted and I swung over to his side accompanied his shoulder with my hand.

   "What do you mean, seriously?" He glared at me as I motioned toward the outdoor ice skating rink.

   "I thought we'd go somewhere warm, not  freezing." He eyed the ice. My mouth was left open. Oops...I scratched my head and tried to think of a counterattack.