Chapter twenty-six: Not Feeling Well

Akihito Kanbara

    My eyes struggle to open as the morning sun annoys me awake. I wanted to roll over and go back to sleep, but I knew I couldn't. I had school.

   I gently rose out of bed to find myself in the middle of a migraine. I held my head and rubbed my eye. It just keeps coming back, I groaned and thought about taking some medicine to ease the pain. I finally try to rise from my comfortable bed, I step forward, but crumble to my knees, moaning from the impact and sudden movement.

    "Akkun?" I hear my mother call from the other room. I stay on the cold floor, squinting and trying to figure out what time it was.

   "Akkun, are you alright?" My mother pokes her head into my room and gasps when she sees me on the floor.

   "What's wrong?" She asks while helping me back up. My hand stays glued to my forehead like I was trying to keep my head together. After sitting down is when I finally answer her.

   "I just have a real bad headache, that's all." I sigh and wonder if I should stay home today. But...Hiroomi, I debate between seeing Hiroomi or sleeping all day. I felt like I didn't have to decide when my mother forced me down on the bed and shoved the covers over my body.

   "Maybe you s-should stay home?" She says nervously. I furrow my eyebrows, why did she stutter? I then realize she was slightly twitching and sweating. I look her up and down and shuffle slightly in my bed.

   "Mom, is there something wrong?" She must of noticed my concern because she straightened up and rolled her eyes playfully.

    "No, no. You should just stay home and rest. I'll get you some pain killers and breakfast." She smiles sweetly and kisses the top of my head. I grin to myself and sigh a happy sigh. The one thing I did miss as a child, I joke. But maybe she was right, maybe I should stay home just for today. I nuzzle my face into the warm pillow and try to relax my brain. The headache still pounded loudly in the back of my head, but I was able to endure it if it meant I could sleep in.

     I wake up to the smell of pancakes and the constant buzzing from my phone. I groaned and picked it up and lifted into my view. I almost jerked up when I saw how many messages I had from Hiroomi. Seventeen messages?!? They all said similar things like, "where are you?" or "are you okay?" or "did you sleep in?" It made me smile at the fact that he cared so much about me that he sent so many unnecessary messages. I laughed at some of his remarks. I then felt the urge to text him back, but I knew he wouldn't get them because he was in school now. I went ahead and sent him a message so he would know what's up when he checked it.

I lay back in my bed, feeling better. I then catch a whiff of the steaming pancakes still sitting on my side table, waiting to be devoured. The sound my stomach made reminded me I hadn't eaten today. I give in and sat up to guzzle the delicious breakfast food. I washed it down with some chocolate milk. Ah, much better. I then catch a glimpse of two, small tablets next to my empty plate. Those must be the medicine.

I scoop them up and plop them into my mouth without a second thought, chocolate milk following in afterwards. I take a deep breath and think about going back to sleep. Before I could take action, my stomach churred and I bent over, clasping my hands over my gut. I started to feel a sharp pain in my stomach. What's going on?

I end up curling up into a ball in my bed and wince from the pain. I then start to lose focus. Huh? My head spins and my headache worsens. What's...? Black. I'm knocked out cold. I then feel myself floating in thin air. It felt nice, almost soft just floating there. The pain was gone and so was everything else. I look around, or I think I do, I see nothing still. But then I hear a faint noise.