Chapter nine: A Date and Doubt

Akihito Kanbara

I released the grasp on his scarf and let our lips detach. I smiled at him and he hummed.

"Hey, Akkey?" He exclaimed with a tune. I titled my head and grinned.

"Yes, Hiroomi?" He attempted to hide his teeth from me. His face grew red and he took a deep breath.

    "Would you like to go on a date with me?" Our faces were equally red by this point and I couldn't resist a smile.

    "Of course, where?" My voice cracked. I felt like I was about to explode with excitement. He chuckled and hesitated.

     "Let's go to the Mexican restaurant down the street, Friday after school. It's my favorite restaurant and I would like to share it with you." After he was done, I slowly leaned forward to clash with his lips. A small kiss goodbye. He departed from the clubroom and waved goodbye. I can't wait till Friday!

• • •

Hiroomi Nase

I frolicked from the clubroom and onto the street. I did it. I was referring to two things. One, I had a long moment with Akihito and two, I managed to get a date with him. It was a pretty successful day.

I continued to happily trot home when I ran into someone. When we collided, I could tell it was a female's body.

"Oh, sorry. Oh hey, Ayano!" I smiled. Ayano shook off the disruption and glimpsed up at me. She became happy when she realized it was me.

"Oh hey, Hiroomi. Mind if I walk with you?" She joined my side and angled herself toward me. She only lived down the street from me anyway.

"Did you ask them?" I drew a blank when she asked me this, but then remembered the conversation before Akihito and I's session. I hesitated.

"Well, they thought it needed to be more...exciting and...descriptive." I tried to sound nicer than how Akihito said it. She clicked her tongue and shrugged. She then drew in a bunch of air and smiled at me.

"Maybe you could help me?" She clung to my arm. I stared at her. Our eyes were battling to see who would give in first. I lost.

My eyes darted away and I flipped my hair to the side. "Sure," we continued to walk and chat till it was late. We had forgotten we were walking home together and ended up walking in circles around the park. I widened my eyes. What time is it? I looked down at my watch and read the time, 8:32pm. We had lost track of time. I chuckled nervously.

"Oh dear, it's late. Let's start to head home." We left our endless circle of chatter and headed down our street. I stood at the door and waved goodbye.

"See you around, scarf-boy!" She shouts playfully. I freeze. Scarf-boy, huh? I sigh and smile at her.

"See ya." I couldn't come up with a good nickname for her at the time, but I definitely didn't let it bother me. I shut the door behind me and kicked off my shoes. I sighed and walked upstairs and practically flew onto my nice, warm bed.

"Ah, finally." I then wrapped myself in my blankets and drifted off to sleep, dreaming about how Friday was going to be like with Akihito.

"Ah, Akihito."

• • •

"Want to hang out after school today?" Ayano leaped into my face with joy. I was taken aback and held a hand over my heart.

"Oh, it's just you, Ayano." I released my breath. She laughed and put her arms on top of my desk. We had the same class, she sat in front of me next to the window. It was Thursday, and so far, everyday after school I've been chatting with Ayano and critiquing her stories. She has improved since then. I gave her a lazy smile.

"Again? Your obsession over me lately has become exhausting." I joke. She perks up and her cheeks turn pink.

"Heh, heh, sorry..." I could hear her feet tap slowly against the marble floor. She seemed uncomfortable until I suggested to sit in the park during lunch today. She smiled and agreed. She spun around and I heard her hum a happy tune. She reminded me of a little sister. I smiled, Mitsuki.

Lunch arrived slower than normal. I trotted to the park and saw a blanket with Ayano sitting criss-crossed with lunch on her side and her book in her lap. I gently walked over and sat down with my legs sprawled out. I leaned back on my arms.

"Hey-o, Ayano." I sung. She giggled and looked up at me. She was happy to see me. I stealthily grabbed her book out of her lap and turned it around to read it.

"Hey!" She giggled again. She reached for it, but I lifted it out of her reach. I teased her and tried to read it.

"I can't read it when you're trying to attack me." I laughed. She then launched forward and began to tickle me. I was surprised by her touch and attempted not to laugh too hard. She was tickling the right places; my tummy, my neck, and my knee.

"Stop it! Stop it!" I laughed and pushed her away. I grabbed both her wrist and held them out. Her body went limp and she fell forward into my lap. She couldn't control her laughter and didn't move from my lap. She looked up at me and I just laughed uncomfortably. Why does this feel wrong?

She regained her calm and lifted herself off. I cleared my throat and continued to read. She watched me carefully, and sipped her soda. I glimpsed over at her, she quickly looked away and plopped a grape into her mouth. Am I...missing something?

A/n: because I was quite late updating, I will post two chapters today :) one now, another later on in the day.