Chapter four: Get to Know, Then Judge

Akihito Kanbara

The next day, after the incident at my apartment, I sat down on the rooftop of the school to eat my lunch. I was new, I didn't know anyone and no one wanted anything to do with me. As I sat against the fence eating my sandwich, I heard the door creak open. I jumped, thinking it was a teacher, but it was no other than the famous yet perverted, Hiroomi Nase.

"What are you doing?" I asked as he peeked out from the side of the door, spying on me with his gray, emerald eyes. He chuckled and swung around in front of it and leaned against it.

Acting like he's cool. I snorted and sipped on my juice box. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him trying not to smile at me. I sharply looked at him.

"What?" I growled. He kept trying not to smile. He finally sighed and flipped his hair slightly to cool down.

"You just are so cute." I almost spit out my juice. I looked away so he couldn't see my reaction. Why-why am I blushing again?!?

"Aaaakkkkeeey," he said while coming closer. I stood up and prepared for battle. Who knows what this freak would do to me in a matter of seconds.

"Akkey, why are you eating alone?" I looked back at my lunch and back at him. I rubbed the crumbs from my sandwich off my face. I was a little embarrassed that he caught me being a loner.

"I didn't feel like eating around other people, that's all." Hiroomi sighed and looked me deeply in the eyes.

"Akkey, you could just sit with me." He smirked at me and lifted up his lunch bag that I just noticed he was carrying. I huffed and sat back down.

"I like it up here, though." I didn't make eye contact with him. I knew he was probably smiling and thinking I was being "cute" again. Hmph, yeah right. Me? Cute? I realized I was heating up again. Damnit. I pretended to rub off more crumbs to hide my face.

Before I knew it, Hiroomi's hand was on my arm and he was sitting next to me. I peered at him, his eyes were soft. He was expressionless, but also comforting. I couldn't keep my eyes off of his. But most of all, I didn't want to. They kept me calm, silent, speechless. But then he smiled.

I jerked my arm away from him, he laughed at me.

"I could watch you all day." He said, getting comfortable. I turned quickly when I heard the sound of glasses being unfolded. Hiroomi's face was partly covered by a pair of shades. My smile enlarged into the widest smile my face could manage.

"Such a spectacle beauty." I whispered with my hands clenched in front of me. Hiroomi gave me a confused expression, it was actually kind of adorable.

"You mean my sunglasses?" Oops. Now I've done it, another reason to pick on me. I bit my bottom lip and looked away.

"Uh–yeah–erm–they're nice." I smiled innocently. Hiroomi wasn't buying it. He continued to repeat in a whisper "spectacle beauty?" under his breath. He then stopped and stared. Please don't. . .

"You're obsessed with glasses, aren't you?" I jolted and sighed. Caught.

"Yeah. . ." He continued to stare at me. He started to chuckle.
"So what!" He burst into laughter and I slapped his arm.
"You're the one with a sister complex!" He immediately stopped laughing and lunged at my shirt collar. He clenched it and stared angrily at me.

"Never say that again." This was the first time since our second encounter, that I was terrified of him. The other hand was on his scarf, ready to pull it off and attack. He gritted his teeth and I almost wanted to prepare myself for a punch in the face. My heart was thumping faster than normal. What was he planning on doing?

Finally, he let go calmly and looked away from me. He put his head in his hands and faced the ground, almost like he was disappointed in himself.

"I-I-I'm sorry." He breathed heavily. I attempted to put my hand on his shoulder to show him it was fine. He jerked away from my touch and walked hurriedly through the door. I wanted to stop him, but I felt a sense that he didn't want to talk after being triggered.

"Huh," I started to eat my sandwich again as I thought over what just occurred.

"He's pretty damn sensitive about his sister."

Later on in the day, I saw Mitsuki walking alone down the hall in our free period. Since I had no one to talk to, I approached her with a smile. She pursed her lips and smiled.

    "Hey, Akihito, what's up?" I was surprised by how causally and nice she was being toward me. I returned the favor with a friendly response.

   "I'm good–"
   "I don't actually care." There it is. I sighed and she put one hand on her hip.

   "What do you want?"
   "I have something to ask you, Mitsuki." I motioned her aside. She rolled her eyes and followed me into an empty classroom.
     "What's this about?" She moaned. I clenched my fist and frowned.

     "It's about Hiroomi." She perked up at his name. Her eyes were wider and she looked stiff. She gave me a serious look and motioned for me to continue.

    "What's up with him?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "When I mentioned his sister complex, he went crazy." She looked out the window for awhile and waited to see if I was going to get into detail about it.

      "One second he was laughing at me, and the next, I thought he was going to kill me." She bit her bottom lip. So something is wrong. I waited for her to respond, but she stood there, still and stiff.

     "So why–" she cut me off with an abrupt voice.
     "It's none of your business." I was taken aback on how quiet she was on the subject. She was about to storm out, but I grabbed her arm.

    "Let go, pervert–!"
    "Please, Mitsuki," She glanced up at me with her big, brown eyes. They were glistening in the light.
     "Please tell me, or I'll just keep bothering you until you do." I spoke calmly, trying not to raise her bar anymore than I already have.

    "Why do you even care?" She said, small and weak-like. I let go of her arm, knowing she wasn't going to run.

    "Because I know nothing about you two. You guys know everything there is to know about me, and yet I know nothing about you and your brother." I almost wanted to raise my voice, but I controlled it. She peered up at me and sighed.

    "Okay," A sense of relief filled my body. Thank goodness. She turned to face me and took a deep breath.

    "We have an older sister." She paused. I grew impatient and couldn't connect the dots with her hint. I waited.

    "She is also a Spirit World warrior. Before, she was very close to us, but now she always keeps her distance from us. Hiroomi was always worried about her when she went out to do dangerous jobs." She took a deep breath again and looked out the window.

    "I guess you could say he was worried about losing her." I see. I looked at my feet and thought about it for a minute.

    "Thank you for telling me." I spoke softly, hopefully not too soft she couldn't hear me. But she did, she nodded and turned to leave.

    "Just try to be more considerate toward him. He can be such a baby at times." She left me in the classroom, alone. I didn't budge from my spot. Damnit. I knew what I had to do now. Before I could take action, the bell rung. I quickly walked back to class.

Next update: September 13th