Chapter forty-one: Thoughts

Akihito Kanbara

The image of Izumi's fist into Hiroomi's face flashed back into my mine. "Hiroomi!" I shouted and rushed over to him. I remember I couldn't make it to him because Izumi immediately attacked after he was down. I could sense the rage from her body. She went for my stomach. I remember being pinned to my own wall and gasping at the sharp pain in my gut. I flinched at the thought. Thank goodness Hiroomi wasn't awake for it all.

"You monster!!" Her harsh words replayed in the back of my head. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to show no sadness on my face. I didn't want Hiroomi waking up to see my face in this state.

It was already the afternoon when he woke up. I gave him tea and an ice pack and something to eat. We sat there and talked a little before I forced him to rest. He kept saying he wanted to go talk to his sister, but I thought he should calm down first. He plopped his tired body down onto my bed and groaned. I smiled and patted his thigh.

"That's a good Hiroomi." I teased. He scuffed back. I pulled the covers over his cold body and kissed his cheek. I could tell his body relaxed and his eyes close. I smiled before exciting the room. I went to get myself some hot tea and sat on the couch. I sipped the hot liquid and tried to relax. It's not like everyday when your lover's sister sneaks in through the window with the intent to kill you.

My hands shook a little when I went to sip some more tea and a drop slipped from the side of my mouth and onto my bare chest. The hot tea surprised me as it stung my skin slightly. I grabbed a napkin and wiped it away. My thumb gently touched the edge of the bandages. I winced from the sudden touch. Izumi cut pretty deep this time. Of course, nothing could kill me, so I'm not that concerned about it, but the pain was almost unbearable.

I sighed and put the napkin down. I leaned back and looked up at the ceiling. Will this happen again? I wondered. My eyes started to squint at the bland ceiling. I really hope this won't happen again. The pain, the sorrow, Hiroomi's rage; I hope those emotions are never shown again in one place in one day. But of course living the life of an immortal half-yumo can't guarantee that. I sighed again and sat up straight. I finished off my tea and examined my hands; perfectly human. Not a single flaw, except maybe for the cut. I stared at the bandages around my palm. It should have healed by now.

I take the end of the bandage and unwind it. At the last one, I could see the effect of  no sunlight. I let the bandage fall to the floor as my emotionless face examined my palm. Like expected; completely healed. And it was all done within two days. I balled my hand into a fist and kept flexing it to make sure it was working properly. Like expected; nothing was wrong.

I let my hand dangle between my legs and leaned forward. For some reason, I let out a long, longer-than-normal sigh. My sigh reached low parts in my voice and some high ones. I scratched my head vigorously with both hands and closed my eyes. When did my life get so complicated? Good question. It was actually when I was around three when I got hurt at a playground and the wound was healed within an hour. I remember the other kids being scared of me. They avoided me because they thought I was cursed or weird. By now, I expect that from everyone who knew my secret. I kind of get why they wanted nothing to do with me.

I'm weird, I'm strange, I'm not normal, I'm not completely human.

You would think little kids would be psyched about my ability, but it wasn't like that. Their parents put ideas in their heads about my mom and me. They said we were dangerous. Which isn't entirely wrong.

I covered my face in between my legs and groaned again. My life didn't become complicated, it started as complicated.

I started to wonder how my life would be like if I wasn't half-yumo. I chuckled and shook my head. Too normal. I wouldn't fit in either way, I'm sure. I closed my eyes and tried to imagine my life with lots of friends; all surrounding me with laughs and jokes. I smiled at the thought. It was a great dream, if I'm honest, but I couldn't imagine Hiroomi fitting into the equation. I opened my eyes with a frown and furrowed my eyebrows. If I wasn't half-yumo, I wouldn't know Hiroomi.