Chapter forty-seven: Safe Haven

Akihito Kanbara

My eyes fluttered open to reveal a wooden ceiling with visible dust particles floating across the room swiftly. I paused, then squinted, where am I? What happened?? I pushed myself up with my arms and slowly turned my head to examine my new surroundings. The house was very open; Two walls had large sliding, glass doors and windows that covered the walls from floor to ceiling. Bookshelves stood tall all around the room. The floor only had one futon which was where I laid. It was sunny outside and I could see mostly just trees, a forest, perhaps. That was when I noticed the pain in my head. I grasped my forehead and steadily stood up. I stumbled toward the archway into the kitchen and reached into a cabinet containing the glassware. I grabbed a small cup and filled it with water. After taking a large sip, I sighed. I stared at the cup while furrowing my eyebrows. How did I know where the cups were? I glanced at the cabinet again and then back at the cup. I released my grasp on the cup and its contents splattered the floor. I backed up against the counter and looked around. I know this place. I rushed out of the kitchen and marched over to the sliding doors. I forced them open and felt the heat of the morning sun blind me. My eyes flutter to focus with the intensity of the sun's rays as I tried to remember the other night.

All I could remember were Hiroomi's words toward me after his hand struck my face, "Can't you see I don't care what you do, I'll still love you as much as I did the day I met you!! Help me fight for us! Help me fight...for you!" I swayed at his words and felt my body crumble to the floor. A tear threatened to fall from my eye, but I bit my lip and tried to remember the rest. What happened after he left? I press my wrists into my temples and groan. Why can't I remember anything??

That was when I heard a loud chopping noise coming from outside the house. I jolted up quickly, hoping it wasn't anyone with ill intentions.  I crawled pass the sliding door and peeked over to where the noise continued to echo off the woods. I recognized an axe being lifted and then brought down with force onto a piece of wood. The sound coming from the person holding the axe sounded familiar. Then I realized it could only be Hiroomi. I watched him for a minute, realizing his scarf was on the porch along with his jacket. I moved towards the items and lifted the scarf to my cheek. I lay my head there for a moment and closed my eyes. The sound of the chopping soothed me in a way.

After a few moments of listening, the noise stopped and I could hear Hiroomi's tired voice come closer. I opened my eyes to see a sweaty Hiroomi with a smile plastered on his face.

      "Good morning, sleeping beauty." He said between quick breaths. I stared up at him, unable to speak. What was I to say? Where do I begin? Is this a dream? I mysteriously wake up in a house where my lover and I are stationed watching him work hard to keep the house warm for when temperatures drop... This must be a dream. He swipes a towel and dries his face with it while waiting for my fogged brain to answer. He stopped and frowned, mid-swipe.

       "Do you...remember the other day?" His knees bent so he could be facing me equally. I blink at him and turn toward the woods.

       "Not a thing." I lied. I mean, I didn't know everything, but I do remember his words, along with the slap. Frankly, I'm not too pleased that I remembered only that part of the day. Handing over the scarf, I realized the pain shooting from my wrist. I wince from the sore area. Hiroomi dropped everything and sat next to me.

"Is it your wrists?" He gently grabs my hands and examines them. I stare at his face in displeasure. He catches me staring and his eyebrows furrow.

"What did I do last night?" I asked with my lip quivering uncontrollably. Hiroomi bit his lower lip and tried to keep eye contact with me.