Chapter thirty-eight: Expanding

Akihito Kanbara

"Call me if anything happens, okay?" He kissed my forehead and ruffled my blonde hair.

"Okay." I managed a smile for him. He smiled and flipped his hair to one side. Silence filled the space between us until his phone went off. He sighed and held up a finger.

"Excuse me." He turned to one side and responded to his phone.

"Hey, yes...yes, he's right here...wait, what do you...? Okay I'll be home in a second." He hung up and groaned. I could easily tell it was about me.

"Sorry, Akkey. I know you're in a horrible state right now, but my little sister called; she needs me." He stood up while sliding the phone back into his pant's pocket. He kissed my lips one last time and waved goodbye. He trotted out of the café in a hurry. I wonder what's up, I thought as I sighed and sipped my glass one more time. I raised my hand toward the waitress and gave her the money for the water.

"No point in staying." I mumbled as I picked up my jacket and headed out the door. Hiroomi was busy, so now what? I didn't really have any friends. Once out of the café, I kicked a nearby pebble and sighed deeply. I trudged along the sidewalk with no place in mind. I barely looked up from the ground until I bumped into something.

"Ah! H-Hey!" Or someone. He stumbled back and dropped his books. My face became a little red.

"I-I'm sorry." I said while immediately falling onto my knees to help collect his books. I glanced at the titles. They were mostly fantasy and mystery books. I looked up at the boy and examined him more. He had a full head of ginger hair with crystal eyes. His hair came down to around his neck. He was thin, but not very tall. He wore a tan sweater with gray pants and converse shoes. He picked up another book and noticed me staring.

"Uh, thanks. And sorry, I shouldn't have yelled." He smiled and stood up and extended a hand. I gripped the books in one hand and grabbed his hand. He hoisted me up and I gave him the books.

"It's fine, I was the one who wasn't looking." I managed a smile. His vibe was completely calm and friendly. While we stood, I noticed he was a bit shorter than me by maybe two inches. My estimate would be a first-year in high school or even Junior high. He inched closer with his face glowing.

"My name's Maehara Taiga! You can call me Maehara." He gleamed while holding out his hand for me to shake it. I hesitated, wondering if I was wasting my time with him or not. I shook his hand and managed a smile. This kid really opens people up.

"Nice to meet you, Maehara. I'm Akihito Kanbara. You can call me Akihito." I never knew it was possible for the kid's face to glow even more, but it did when I agreed to exchange names. He was sort of...adorable.

"What school do you go to? I go to the Junior high just down this road. I have one more year until High school." Junior high. Of course there was no way this innocent, little kid was in high school.

"I go to the high school around the corner." I said, less enthusiastic as Maehara. I felt my heart thump a little faster. Is this how people make friends? My eyes veered at his books. Most of them were pretty thick for a Junior high student. He caught me staring and chuckled nervously.

"I like to read complicated books. I'm the only one at my school who reads them." He seemed a little upset by that fact. Could he be lonely too? I smiled at him.

"I think it's cool that you read complex books like that." His smile came back, wider than last time, and he blushed a little.

"Really?!" He squeaked. I patted his head.

"Totally. We should read some books together sometime." He smiled and looked at me with hopeful eyes. It's really easy making friends with someone who is just as lonely as you are. He was only a year behind me, but his personality made him seem so much younger. Maybe he skipped a grade?

"Does that mean we're friends now?" The word made my muscles relax and my heart beat faster. I smiled.

"Sure." He smiled back at me and adjusted the books in his arms.

"Well I got to go. See you around, Akihito!" He ran around me without taking his eyes off me and scurried along. I waved goodbye and stood there. Did I seriously just make friends with a Junior high kid? I guess it didn't matter anyway. A friend is a friend. I adjusted my jacket and trudged along the road. Maybe I should catch up on some sleep.

•  •  •

Hiroomi Nase

I hurried into the house and up the stairs to Mitsuki's room. Leaving Akihito in that state was a bad idea, but maybe what Mitsuki had to say would help. I didn't bother to knock on her door.

"Mitsuki?! What's going on?" She sat at her desk with a book opened to a random page. She didn't flinch nor move from my voice.

"You must have ran here if you arrived within ten minutes." She stated. Of course I ran, she said she was in danger. I scanned the room and sighed.

"You shouldn't have scared me into running if nothing was happening." I scuffed. She turned her head and rolled her eyes.

"I wouldn't do that unless I was serious. Which I am." She stood up with the book in one hand and tapped it against my shoulder.

"No matter what you say, Izumi won't stop stalking the poor Akihito." My eyes widened. She's still watching him after she promised me? Mitsuki turned the page and sighed.

"She said he lost it yesterday." My eyes quivered when she said those words to me.

"I know that–"
"But you weren't there." She protested. She was saying I failed to watch over the half-yumo. I licked my lips and my eyebrows furrowed.

"She was this close to killing him right there." She kept her voice steady, completely calm and monotone. This time she looked into my eyes and frowned.

"You don't want that, do you?" I tried to calm my body and respond, but I was almost losing it myself. I don't want Akihito to feel any pain. I clenched my fists and turned away from Mitsuki. I stomped out of the room and down the hall, leaving her book to slump onto the floor.

I marched to her door and knocked twice.

"Izumi! We have to talk." I growled with anger flowing through my veins. It was quiet beyond the door.

"Izumi!" I hollered into the wood. I got fed up with waiting and barged in. I viewed the room, but she was nowhere to be found. Mitsuki's head peeped in.

"She's not here, idiot." I tried to control my breathing.

"Where...is she?" I grumbled under my breath with a steady breath.

"Where do you think? She's doing her job." I whirled around and ran out the door, accidentally pushing Mitsuki out of the way.

"Hey?! Where do you think you're going?" I didn't have time to waste so I hollered back without turning my head.

"To stop this!" I could imagine Mitsuki crossing her arms and sighing while mumbling under her breath, "Idiot."

A/n: hey guys sorry I was kind of on an unannounced, week hiatus... (。-∀-)
Anyway, I'm back now!

Next Update: July 5th