Chapter eight: Indirect Confession

Akihito Kanbara

I didn't know what came over me when I jerked my head to the side so our lips could crash together. But I felt good about it. I didn't regret a thing.

I was on my way to the Literary club when I spotted a girl at the door. She was knocking impatiently and standing tall. I didn't recognize her, she had red, long hair and was close to my height. She wore a third-year ribbon around her neck. I walked up to her.

"Looking for someone?" I suggested. She jumped at my voice. She turned and smiled at me.

"Uh, yeah, do you know a Hiroomi Nase?" I stiffened. She waited for me to answer. I tried to relax a little, for some reason I was tense.

"Yes, I do." Was all I said in response. She looked around me and back at me.

"Do you know where he is? I need to speak with him." She said nervously. I twitched.

"He usually skips Literary club, but I'll let him know you were looking for him, Ms. ...?" Light bulbs flicked on as she apologized to me for not introducing herself earlier.

"My name is Ayano Saski. Thank you, Mr. ...?" I chuckled at her copying my words. I nodded, "Akihito Kanbara." We shook hands and she trotted away saying one more time, "Thank you!"

I shook my head and smiled. Sweet girl. I then stiffened again. But what did she want with Hiroomi?

I entered the room and saw it empty. I sighed and picked up a book and sat down and read it. A few moments later, Mitsuki entered the room with her daily sucker. She sat down across from me and crossed her legs.

"Anything good today?" She asked. I just shrugged and threw the floppy book onto the table.

"I wouldn't call any of these good." I spat. She glared at me and sighed.

"I'd like to see you try and write a story for your senpais." She rolled her eyes as I responded with a, "whatever." I shifted in my seat and looked out the window. The sun was starting to set. The colors in the sky were put together nicely. I almost said something about it until she spoke up.

"So what's up with you and my brother?" I barely fell off my seat when she asked. It was a good question, to be honest, I didn't know the answer myself. I acted cool and crossed my arms. I raised an eyebrow.

"If you are referring to what happened last weekend, there is nothing between–," the door swung open to reveal a happy Hiroomi.

"Akkey—!" He sang and wrapped his arms around my neck. His smile was wider than normal.

"I've missed you." He whispered. He looked up at Mitsuki, who was giving me a look of disapproval.

"Oh, hey Mitsuki." Hiroomi said shyly. He let go and leaned against the back of my chair. I then remembered the girl from earlier.

"Oh, Hiroomi, a girl named Ayano was looking for you this morning. Saying she wanted to talk with you...?" I said, looking up at him. He drew a blank for a moment and then bounced back into reality.

"Oh yes! Ayano wanted to ask me about why the Literary club didn't like her story. Remember, I mentioned her before?" He looked down at me with a smile still. I then reminisced to the time we were walking home together and he mentioned her name. I remember being jealous for no reason and being a mess. My cheek twitched.

"Oh yeah...I remember now." I said, looking away now. He leaned in close to my face.

"So why don't you like her story?" He exclaimed. I sighed and looked to the side.