Chapter twenty-nine: Awake

Hiroomi Nase

    As soon as the last bell rang, I sprinted out of the classroom and through the street toward Akihito's apartment. He's awake, I kept telling myself. Since it wasn't a short walk away, I started to think about what was causing Akihito's yumo side to take over. Could it be the season changing? Could it be something more insignificant? My mind searched for an answer but ended up empty handed. What's different? I ask myself and squeeze my eyes shut to help my thought process.

I finally reached his apartment and knocked twice. Yayoi quickly answered and moved out of the way once she met eyes with me. I rushed toward Akihito's room and walked through the doorway. There he was, sitting criss-crossed on his bed eating a rice omelet. I smiled and walked over to him. My steps felt weightless and my eyes shined from the rising tears of worry. He sets his plate on the table and opens his arms for me. I hop on the bed and embrace him.

    "I'm sorry I worried you." He whispered in a monotone voice. I tried to be a man and suck it up, but today was a horrible day. I leaned back and cupped his face, staring deeply into his bronze eyes examining my expression.

    "I'm just glad you're okay." I then pecked him on the lips and smiled to show him everything was fine. Although, in reality, not everything was fine. I couldn't decide how much I should tell him so I kept my mouth shut. He didn't need to hear it right now; about Roy, the yumo, and what could be causing him to go yumo. I looked down at his plate half-eaten and was reminded that his stomach was now yumo. The rice omelet wouldn't do him any good. Should I tell him now? Sweat formed on the side of my head as I thought it over. I felt like if told him, it would just stress him out more and he might not recover.

I then spied something on the floor. Light bounced off of it and was now blinding me in my left eye.

   "What's...?" I bend down and pick it up. When I realized what it was, I almost growled at Akihito, but instead I asked him why his promise ring was on the floor.

Akihito's eyes widen and his smile enhances.

    "You found it!!" He grabbed at it and put it on his finger. He then peered up at me and his smile fell.

   "Uh, I might of dropped it and couldn't find it for a week...but hey! You found it!" He grinned nervously, thinking I would probably go off on him. But instead, my brain clicked.

    "Did you say you lost it for a week?" I leaned in close and waited impatiently for him to answer. He nodded and pouted.

    "Look Hiroomi, I'm so sorry–" I grabbed ahold of his shoulders and looked him in the eyes. Maybe...could it? I then lifted his shirt up to see if the rice omelet nurtured  his body.

   "Uh, Hiroomi?!" He blushed loudly and shoved his shirt down.

    "Not now, my mother's home." He whispered-yelled. I then laughed nervously and shook my head.

    "No, no, that's not it. Eat more of your rice omelet." I demanded, more calm now. I knew one omelet wouldn't fill up his stomach back to normal, but I still wanted to see if it worked. He put his hands up in surrender and continued to chow down on the omelet with his promise ring glinting back at me. I thought over how silly it sounded, but I really thought that the ring could be affecting his yumo side. He always wore it. This past week–when he supposably lost the ring–his other half had been acting up. Hopefully this was the solution. I'll have to monitor him for the next few days.

•  •  •

Akihito Kanbara

     As I ate my omelet, Hiroomi smiled and walked out to go talk to my mother. When he was no longer in my view, I rolled my eyes. It was like they were best friends or something. I chewed on the delicious omelet and felt my desires satisfied. My headache was completely gone after Hiroomi arrived. Once I was done, I walked over to my mirror and thought back to when Hiroomi lifted my shirt and then demanded me to eat my food. I lifted my shirt up a little and my eyes widened. I could see the outline of my bones. What happened? I thought I was a glut. I put my cold hand on my stomach and my mouth twitched from the contact. No wonder Hiroomi made me eat.

     "Guess I should eat bigger meals." I joke and put my shirt down. I trudge out of my room, looking down at my promise ring. I take it off and re read the inside engraving; love holds us together. I smile softly as I put it back on and find them in the small kitchen, chatting quietly. I clear my throat so it doesn't seem I was eavesdropping.

"Oh, hey there, sleepy-head." My mother says while cooking up another omelet. My mouth becomes more moist and my stomach grows. Hiroomi chuckles at me and leans against the counter.

"Looks like someone's still hungry." He says and I walk over to him. I wrap my arms around him and rest my head on his right shoulder.

"Very," I whine and kiss his cheek. He smiles and pats my cheek with his right hand. Yayoi takes the rice omelets off and hands them to each of us. I immediately dive in, pleased that my mother is such a great cook. Hiroomi eats it while laughing at me.

    "Why are you so cute?" He reaches up to the corner of my mouth and wipes away a piece of rice. He then leans in and kisses the side of my mouth. I smile and close my eyes. His warmth, his touch. I put my hand over his and kiss him back.

"So tell me about your day." I ask him. I wondered how his day went without me. He froze, then stared off into the distance.

"Um, boring." He says off the top of his head. I could tell something else happened. The way his eyes avoided contact with mine and he stood straighter than normal.

I raised my eyebrow to try to influence him to tell me the truth.

"That's it?" I said and put my plate down. I made myself comfortable and waited for him to say more. He sighed and rubbed his eye.

"Nothing gets past you, huh, Akihito?" He smiles a little, then makes eye contact with me. He leans back and folds his arms.

"Okay, so I learned that Roy"–my eyes squint in frustration from the sound of his name–"was being possessed by a yumo. But I took care of it." He put his hands up to try and reassure me. I raise my fingernail to my lip and chew on it. After a moment, I speak up.

"It makes sense." I say bluntly. Hiroomi laughs nervously and flips his hair lightly.

"I figured you'd say that." He then walks over and pats my shoulder.

"I hope you're feeling better because a day without you is terrifying." He jokes, but I feel like he meant it. I wonder if more occurred at school that he wasn't telling me.

"Did you kill the yumo?" My mother butts in while chewing on freshly made bacon. We both turn our heads at her and I wait for Hiroomi to answer. He collects himself.

"Y-yes, I did." He stammered. I turn my eyes toward him and furrow my eyebrows. Why did he stutter? I crossed my arms and pressed my lips together so it made a straight line. My words suddenly took over.

"Good. I hope that improves Roy's attitude." I snap. Hiroomi peers over at me, sort of shocked by my sudden tone. I felt like he stopped killing yumo for my sake. The idea that I was half yumo probably made him feel like it was insulting. I wanted to show him that it was okay to kill yumo. He then stared at the floor and sighed.

"I hope so, too." He mumbles and heads into the living room. My mother eyes me and inches closer.

"What was that about?" She whispered. I shrugged and veered away.

"I don't have any clue either." I walk after Hiroomi with my hands in the air. I plop down next to him and snuggle up on him. He wraps his arm around me and kisses the top of my head. We sit in silence which makes me start to think about stuff. Where will we be in the next ten years? Or even the next ten days? Will I be able to keep my sanity? I close my eyes tightly and sigh internally. If I became yumo, would Hiroomi be able to kill me? Hiroomi leans over to check on me.

"You okay down there?" He asks with the cutest tone. I jolt my eyes open and give him a smile while nuzzling deeper into his coat.

"Perfectly fine." I lie.

Next update: March 23rd