Chapter thirty-five: Swimming in Love

Akihito Kanbara

     Two weeks went by with nothing changing. Every sleeping blossom was now in full bloom. I breathed in the fresh air and released a pleasing sigh. Spring Break arrived in a blink of an eye.

A whole week away from school, away from our troubles. Probably the best time to have a break, too. Right after all the tension with Roy, it's nice to get away from it all.

As I stayed in bed with the sheets covering half my body, I wondered what else I could do besides sleep in. Then it came to me. I grinned and snatched my phone from the nightstand. I clicked on Hiroomi's name and held it against my ear. I waited patiently for him to answer as the beeps continued. Ah, c'mon Hiroomi. Lazy Bones finally answered.

    "Huh? Hello?" His sleepy voice groaned. I chuckled at his cute voice. Sleepy Hiroomi was always the best. I pictured his hair a mess and his eyes barely opened. His bare chest and sweatpants against the sheets, lazily reaching for the phone. 

    "Good morning Hiroomi~." I gleamed. I could hear him smiling over the phone.

    "Good morning Akihito." His head shuffled against his pillow causing a sound to fill the phone. I flinched away and back to the phone.

    "So Hiroomi, what are your plans for this week?" I shifted my body to one side and stared out the window.

    "Let me see..." He moved the phone away from his face and shouted, "Mitsuki! Are we doing anything this week?"

    "Not with you, pervert!" A sound of impact came from over the phone.

    "Ouch." I sympathized. Mitsuki sure can be harsh sometimes. The sound of Hiroomi's body falling back against his bed groaned through the phone.

"Ouch, indeed." I took this as an opportunity to lift his spirits.

"Do you want to go to the pool sometime this week?" I grinned and tapped my forearm.

"Sure, when?" He said, more awake now. I glanced at the calendar and shrugged.

"Why not today?" Shuffling came through the phone and I heard him sit up.

"I'll go get ready."
"Meet at my place in an hour." And with that, I hung up and jumped out of bed. Not going to just sleep today, I thought as I searched for my swimming trunks. I found the pair that fit me the best. It was navy with white stripes near the bottom. I threw my pajama pants off and boxers. I slipped on the trunks and examined myself in the mirror. I used to never look at myself in the mirror for more than five seconds. Once I met Hiroomi, my whole person changed. I cared about my hair, my clothes, my personality; everything. I used to not care if I was attacked. I had no desire to live because I could never die.

My thoughts were interrupted by the thumping of someone's knuckles on the door. I grabbed my jacket and threw it on just in case it wasn't Hiroomi. I opened the door and thankfully it was Hiroomi.

"You ready–?" His appearance stopped my words. He wore his scarf, a t-shirt, and jeans. I chuckled as I compared it to my outfit.

"What?" He scuffed. I stopped myself and pointed at his jeans.

"How will you ever survive?" I laughed and before he could respond, I hugged him. He grumbled under his breath and hugged me back.