Chapter thirteen: Chilled Hands

Akihito Kanbara

     The chilly air engulfed me as I exited my house. He watched me with a smile and sighed. I cupped his cold cheek and planted a warm kiss on his lips. He moved into my lips until I released him.

   "Don't leave, warm me." He pouted with his arms reached out in front of him. I laughed and rolled my eyes.

   "Come on, we have to go to school." I teased and walked slowly away. He chuckled and I heard him sigh. I looked back to see him with his arms crossed, leaning against the doorway. I couldn't stop myself from not speaking again.

   "If you're that cold, then shut the door!" I yelled so he could hear me. He just put his hand up to his ear and smiled. I tried again to reach him.

   "Shut the door, it's cold outside! You're wasting my heat!" He blew air out and stood up straight.

   "I know it's cold outside, but I just can't take my eyes off of you." I laughed at how cheesy he sounded. He then started to walk toward me. I adjusted my coat and shoved my hands into the pockets.

   "Coming to school?" I asked him as he joined my side.

   "I guess so." He said with a shiver. I wrapped my arm around him and kissed his cheek.

   "You're so sweet," My words made him smile and he shivered some more.

   "And clingy." He sharply turned his head at me and frowned.

   "Cl–Clingy?!?" He turned to face me. I chuckled and put one hand on his shoulder.

    "I'm kidding, I'm kidding!" I tried to calm him and moved in for a hug. He lazily hugged me back and we started walking again. I held his chilled hand tightly to warm it. We were approaching the town area where the school was in view. I breathed in the cool, Fall air and looked around at the trees. The leaves were starting to fall and turning a different color. I smiled at the scenery and continued on with holding Hiroomi's hand.

When we finally arrived at the school entrance, I let go of his hand. What surprised me, although it shouldn't have, was that his hand was still freezing after I tried so hard to warm them. It was like studying all night for a test and ending up failing it; it didn't have a nice feeling in my stomach. He turned to leave me to go to his class, but I stopped him. He faced me, waiting for me to say anything. I finally found the words.

    "Why can't I warm your hands?" It sounded better in my head then it did out loud. He stared at me for a long moment and then chuckled.

   "Haven't we been over this? It's in my nature, I'm forever cold." The fact that I couldn't irritated me. I wanted to warm him, but I couldn't. He was forever cold, like he said. I frowned and grabbed his hand and pulled it up to my mouth. I began to blow hot air onto it. He was shocked by my childish actions and tugged on his hand.

   "Akkey, what are you doing?" He laughed. I was not laughing, I was not smiling, I was simply trying to warm his hand. I felt it again, it was still abnormally cold.

   "I'm trying to warm your hand, what does it look like I'm doing?" I tried again, but with a different technique. I rubbed his hand fiercely and violently until I could feel warmth developing on my hands. He cringed at my actions and flinched.

   "Ow! Hey, enough." He jerked his hand away from my grasp. I looked down at my feet. Why can't I warm them? It bugged me to an extreme level. He cupped his still cold hand on my cheek and raised my head.

    "Why does it bother you so much?" I peeked up at him and sighed. I shrugged and thought for a moment. He then flipped his hair and kissed my forehead.

   "Silly Akkey, it would take a miracle for my hands to be warm." His words nerved me. I put my hand over his hand and leaned into it. So cold...I don't know why it suddenly started to bother me, maybe it always did and this was just the first time I acknowledged it.

His moist lips pressed against mine and stayed for awhile. He then let go and smiled at me. I attempted to smile back and he left. I grumpily opened the door to the school and took off my coat. The school was nice and cozy. I saw Hiroomi pass the cubbies and forth ward to his classroom. He wore his thick coat, scarf, and an extra shirt. Why not gloves? I wondered, If they're so cold, why not cover them up? I pondered any reason for why he wouldn't want to. I flung my hands onto my face and groaned.

"Why won't they heat up?!" My classmates stared at me as I realized I said that out loud. I laughed nervously and felt my cheeks forming red. Great...I quickly stomped out of the room and to my classroom.

But still...why won't they?

It was hard to concentrate on school when Hiroomi's hands kept invading my mind. This shouldn't be bothering me, I thought and rubbed my tired eyes. So why is it? Lunch period came and I hurried to our lunch spot. Hiroomi was already up there and eating his chips. When he saw me, his face lit up.

"Akkey!" He patted the spot next to him and I sat down after taking a deep breath. He eyed me and tilted his head.

"Something the matter?" He leaned against me and sipped his drink. I could see the steam rising from the container. Without another thought, I snatched the drink and sipped it myself. It was hot chocolate and it was hot. I immediately forced it out as it burned the top of my mouth.

"Akkey!?" Hiroomi grabbed a napkin, kneed in front of me, and dabbed where it was stained on my clothes. My cheeks burned with embarrassment. I rubbed my mouth and coughed several times. I then grabbed Hiroomi's hand that was drying my thigh. It was cold, his hands were ice. I applied pressure to his hand and then forced them up to my warm cheeks. I pressed them hard against my skin. He watched me and furrowed his eyebrows.

"Akkey, please talk to me. What is–?"

"Why don't you wear gloves?" I cut him off bluntly and waited for a response. He then put his other hand up to his chin and thought for a moment. He then smiled at me and kissed my cheek.

"Because I want to be able to feel your warm hands." I abruptly stood up, the napkin falling to the ground and flying away with the wind.

"That's not a good reason!" I bit my lip and waited for him to do something, anything. He stayed kneed on the ground. I clenched my fist and crossed my arms.

"You need to take care of yourself!" I yanked off my gloves and handed them to Hiroomi. He didn't budge. He didn't take them.

"Here." I shook them once and then gave up and kneed down with him. I took his hand and started to put them on his hand. He finally moved to plant a kiss against my lips. I was taken aback and let go of his lips and looked down at the gloves. He then stripped the gloves off and handed them back to me. He kissed me again and my back was pressed on the cold fence. He then barely moved away and smiled.

"Speak for yourself; you can feel the cold in your hands, but I can't." He moved away and ran his fingers through his hair. He seemed to try and sooth himself from what he just revealed. My eyes must of been filled with shock, because his face looked eagerly away from my face. He wanted something else to look at. His face finally turned and his smile was weak.

"Y-You can't feel...your hands?" I then frantically lunged for his hands, to try and warm them again. Hiroomi suddenly jerks his hands away from me.

"Yeah, I can't, okay? So stop trying to..." his anger shocked me and my reaction stung him. He then grabbed his lunch and hurried away whispering, "sorry" under his breath.

He left me, in the cold, stunned.

Next Update: November 27th

Warm Hands [Hiroomi x Akihito fanfic]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें