Chapter twenty-eight: School Without Akihito

Hiroomi Nase

     The next morning, I open my eyes to see myself slouched next to Akihito's bed. I stretch my back and listen to my aching bones. My eyes adjust and I see Akihito still knocked out cold in his bed. I frown and clutch his free hand and bring it up to my lips. I kiss it softly and press it against my cheek. Please awaken soon.

As I usher myself out, I find Yayoi and ask her to call me as soon as he wakes up. Unfortunately, I had to go to school today. Walking to school alone was boring and torture. It was extremely silent and dead all around. Oh had I hoped Akihito would be okay and awake from his slumber. I didn't know how much more I could take. And then to worsen the day, Roy approached me with a slam to the lockers. Calling out behind him, "Freak!" as he strutted away. Oh would I have loved to beat his ass. Not only could I not, I could also win. I was sworn to never reveal my strength to others, unless a yumo was involved. It sucked, but I managed.

   I rubbed my arm from the impact and bent down to grab my books. When I went to grab my physics book, a slender hand beat me to it. I looked up to meet eyes with Ayano.

   "Long time, no see, Hiroomi." She cheerfully spoke like nothing between us was damaged. Although, I thought there were still some muddy waters in our relationship. I smile, but not too friendly.

    "Yes, hello Ayano." She helps me grab the rest of my books and we stand up.

   "Thank you for your help." I say with sad eyes. Not having Akihito was like not having part of my body; unable to function completely. She smiles and tilts her head.

   "No problem. Everything good?" She keeps her sentences short and sweet like always. I try to avoid any concern from others so I lie to her.

    "Everything's great, fine. How about you? How's the writing going?" At this moment in time, I'm already done talking to her. I have no idea what this weird tension between us is, but I despise it. She looks down at my pants which were dirty from the fall.

    "Um, I'm good. The writing is improving, I think. Are you sure nothing happened?" She points at my knees. I look down and examine the fresh filth plastered onto them. I grit my teeth and try to hide the frustration I have for Roy. That annoying...

    "Oh, um...I just tripped, that's all, really." I always feel the need to lie to her, like nothing is her business. I then feel my eyes twitch in frustration. She notices before I can stop myself.

    "Hiroomi, why do you lie to me?" I look around for an exit, but realize I needed to make a mends.

    "I don't know what's going on, but ever since you found out I was dating Akihito, you've been acting strange." She flinches at the sound of his name. Does she not like Akihito? Is she jealous? She moves the hair out of her face and her cheeks grow pink.

    "...it's just that..." Her voice shrinks and she fidgets with her fingers. I step an inch closer and cock my head.

   "It's just what...?" As my face gets closer, her face becomes more red. She averts her eyes back and forth from my eyes to the side. She then closes her eyes and balls her hands into a fist. They swing to her side and her nose flares.

    "I like you! Okay? And all you ever talk about now is Akihito! It's so annoying!" Her eyes watered and her face was beet red. I wasn't surprised at all. I rub my face and examine the ceiling. What should I say? I then fold my hands and frown.

   "I'm sorry for not being a better friend." Thats all I could say because the bell rang for third period. I slowly walk away to my next class, leaving her, stunned.

    Third period was very boring as usual, except for one thing involving one person; Roy. Before class even started, he was bullying me. When I sat at my desk, I found chicken scratch all over it. The words I managed to make out were, "freak" and "gay bastard." I ignored them and erased them away with my pink eraser. Then during class, little spit-balls were shot from behind me where Roy sat. I was able to contain my anger until the end of class, just before the bell rang for lunch.

A bigger wad of spit pelted me in the ear and I swung around, furious. I was about to make a smart comment until I saw something I haven't seen in a long time. Sitting right on Roy's shoulder was a yumo. My eyes widen and my mouth gaped. Roy looked at me dumbfounded.

   "What are you looking at, freak?" I then slowly turn back around, saying nothing because I remembered last time I sassed him. Not that I'm scared of him...I grumble under my breath. The bell rang and I waited for Roy to exit for lunch. I quickly followed him. I wonder how long he's had a yumo. I wait for him to go get a drink from the faculty room. Back when I ate in the lunch room, I would always notice him walking down there to fetch a soda.

I kept one hand on the end of my scarf, ready for anything as I traced his steps to the back room. It was empty except for him. The plan was to stealthily swipe the yumo off his shoulder without him even noticing. I was very well trained, but this was definitely a challenge in my department.

I tip-toed to the other side of the room and let my scarf fall from my neck. I stand, ready to finish off the disgusting yumo. I whip the scarf back and let it fly fast toward his shoulder. The next thing I know, the small yumo is against the wall, injured, and Roy didn't even notice. I smirk and quickly whip my scarf toward the yumo for another hit. The yumo is finished off and a stone replaces its spot. I sneak over and pick up the tiny stone, probably worth fifty cents. When I smile from my success, I glance over at Roy who has noticed me. His dark eyebrows show that he isn't happy to see me.

"What are you doing here?" He says sharply. I felt confident so I didn't flinch at all, nor did I move from my spot. I smile and narrow my eyes at him.

"Oh, nothing. I was just leaving." I say in a cocky way. He rolls his eyes and jabs the word, "freak," in the air as I walk toward the door. I've heard that word almost my entire life and it never really bothered me. I wonder if he knew that. Before I left, I spoke up.

"You know, Roy, your petty words never really bothered me. Sometimes I wonder why you even try so hard to put me down." I liked this feeling. This rush I was getting from finally fighting back without even throwing a punch. Roy was taken aback and puffed out some air. Before he could even try to respond, I step out of the room and happily walk up the stairs to the rooftop where Akihito and I eat. When I realized he wasn't here, my body drooped.

I check my phone for any messages from his mother or him. Nothing yet. I then plop on the ground and eat my lunch. I think about the yumo and then Akihito. I just killed a yumo, those words have never surprised me before, but now they were taking affect. It made me feel like I just killed a person. I take out the stone and examine it. It's just a stupid yumo, I say, but then take it back. I felt like I was insulting Akihito by saying that. Sure he's half-yumo but it still felt wrong. I lower my head and let out a groan of confusion.

"Is he really the same as the others?" Before I can think about the subject further, my phone buzzes. It's Yayoi whose calling. I quickly click answer and shoot it up to my ear.

"Hello? Is Akihito awake?" I say, my heart pounding with eagerness.

"Yes, he is fine. Please wait till after school to see him." Yayoi's words soothed me. He's awake! But I couldn't see him till after school. I let out a sigh of relief and tell her thank you for calling me. I hang up and smile at the sky.

"Now I just need to get through the rest of the day." I groan and finish up my lunch. The bell rings for the last class. One more, and then I'll get to see Akihito!

Next Update: March 18th