Chapter forty-four: Yumo

Akihito Kanbara

Must...kill...Izumi...save...Hiroomi...must...not...lose...control...

• • •

Hiroomi Nase

My eyes flicker slightly, but my eyesight was blurred. My head automatically reached for my aching head. What happened? The pain in my back came to life and I groaned in agony. What the...? My hearing started to fade back. I could hear a roaring noise, a noise that sounded like a cry. I managed to turn my head around and could see Akihito.

Akihito...! My voice is mute, I can not speak out to him. My vision refocuses and I can see the details now. His yumo side is completely visible. His sharp nails, his dark glare, his aura changed all together. An aura was now rampageous, no longer young and innocent. My eyes widen and I force my body upward. One arm holds me up. I open my mouth to call out to him.

"Ah...Akkey...!" I tried but my voice wasn't loud enough to be overheard by Akihito's scream. His aura bursted and caused Izumi to be pushed back. I cover my face from the blast with my palm. Dirt and pebbles flew through the air around Akihito. I have to stop him...but how?

I regain my strength and push myself up. I'm standing, more like staggering from the pain, but it'll have to subside. I clear my throat and clench my fists.

      "Akihito!" I walk toward him, but his force was too strong. I end up having to push myself forward.

      "Akihito! Stop!" I attempt to reach him once more, but it still doesn't work. I grip my scarf like I was ready to fight. I hesitate to take it off, I don't want to hurt him. I'm not strong enough to, anyway, I thought as I gritted my teeth. I still have to try.

Akihito starts trudging toward Izumi. Izumi got back up and charged toward him as well with her staff pointed at him. Somehow, my body was able to run in front of Akihito and my hands automatically undid my scarf. I wrapped it around the staff and threw it to the side in one quick motion. Izumi quickly retaliated by lifting her leg up and kicking me to the side. I was able to bring up my arm to block it, but due to the first impact, I was thrown to the side again, but this time I stopped myself from hitting anything. I grunted, my arm was most likely broken. Damn it, how am I supposed to protect Akihito if I can't even take a hit?!

When I looked up from my arm, I saw Izumi being slashed to the side from Akihito's swing. Not to my surprise, she was able to kick herself off from a tree and picked up her staff. She ran with full force back to Akihito.

     "Izumi, stop!" It was too late. Her staff was pulled back and ready when I lifted my hand up to form a cage around Akihito. She broke through it easily. Damn it. But Akihito already forced his hand into her shoulder causing her to raise her staff while using her powers, forcing it down onto his arm. Akihito screamed and grabbed ahold of the staff. Izumi's face filled with urgency and horror. He released a wall of flames causing Izumi to force herself backwards. Her judgement was off and I could tell she was badly burned. This was my chance to grab ahold of Akihito. This was my chance to calm him.

"Akihito! Listen to me! Don't give in!! Don't–," his focus turned my way. His dark pupils pierced through my own. A shiver of fear went down my spine. That's not the Akihito I know. The Akihito I know has brown eyes with a shimmer of calm. These pupils were shining with despair. I gritted my teeth and stumbled forward.