Chapter twenty: Defend

(A/n: Idk if I've already used this picture but oh well. I'm running out, ah.)

Akihito Kanbara

After discovering things with Hiroomi, the bell rang for our last class of the day. Lately, I've been having headaches. My headache had increased since this morning. I rubbed my forehead and closed my eyes. I should take some pain relievers. I blinked twice and arrived in class. The time passed slowly on by as I tried to cope with the headache. Near the end of the period, I almost went blind and couldn't copy the notes down. What's going on? I looked down and closed my eyes again. I then flashed them open and squinted at the board. Ow, bad idea.

The class finally ended with half my notes being chicken scratch. I sighed and waited at our spot to walk home. I usually wasn't the first one to arrive at our meeting spot. I looked around and checked my watch. He should of been here by now. I then rubbed my temples to stop the annoying twitch in my head. I could start to hear a thumping sound, constant and loud. My head...I then tried to breath slowly. The sound didn't stop, so I covered my ears. The sound was deafened. Huh? The sound wasn't coming from my head.

I then listened closer to the sound and heard words start to form from a distance.

   "You son of a...don't ever...who do you...you..." I followed the source of the sound and felt my heart rate go up. Who and what is happening? I then quickly round the corner to the side of the school and saw two figures; one against the wall and the other pinning it to the wall. Who...? My vision finally cleared as the figure away from the wall pulled his fist up and slammed it down onto the other's face. The other one was Hiroomi.

I silently gasped and charged toward the other boy.

   "You gay son of a–!" I rammed my whole body into him. He went flying away from where he once stood. I heard his body flopped to the ground and scream at me. I breathed heavily and caught Hiroomi from sliding down against the bricks.

   "H-Hiroomi!?" I helped him stand up with my arm. He moaned in pain and looked up at me with one eye squinted open.

   "Don't worry, Akkey. He just has some beef with me." He then coughed and felt his face. His right eye was swollen and bruises started to form on his soft cheeks. Blood trickled from his nostril and tears accumulated under his left eye.

My eyes started to water as well and I sat him down. I grabbed my cold water bottle from my backpack and gave it to him. He pressed the bottle to his eye and huffed. I then glared over at the other boy who had demolished Hiroomi's precious face. The boy had gotten up and was snarling at me for interrupting. My eyebrows fell down hard above my eyes. I gritted my teeth and my hands balled into fists. That jerk...

The boy arched an eyebrow and smirked.
   "You got a problem blondie?" He spat. That was when I faced him and gave him the angriest face I could produce. He watched me closely and chuckled.

   "You're like a little puppy trying to scare off a bear." He grimaced and I stepped forward, ready to engage in combat.

   "A weakling like you only got lucky once." But before I could, Hiroomi grasped onto my ankle and hoisted himself up by using the building. He slowly raised his head and glared up at the boy.

   "Don't insult him, Roy. He's got nothing to do with this." The face Hiroomi held was extremely terrifying, almost like the face of death. He stood up and wiped away the blood from his nose.

   "Akihito, lets go." The boy, apparently named Roy, clenched his fist as Hiroomi turned to walk away.

   "I'm not done with you." He snapped. I turned to follow Hiroomi when I felt an annoying urge. Roy was on the move and before I know it, I'm whirled around and my fist made contact his face, hard. Roy stumbled backwards with his hands on his nose. I shake off the pain from my hand.

   "Now you are." I growl. Woah, I then turn to catch up with Hiroomi. I enter a side hug as we walked to the front.

   "You okay?" He smiled. I held my hand that I used to punch and grinned weakly.

   "Well, my fingers feel broken, but Hiroomi, you're the one who's bleeding." He then smiled sadly and sighed. His smile faded.

   "But you could've gotten more hurt, what were you thinking?" Our connection collapsed and he stopped in his tracks, looking at the ground. I put my hands out to answer.

   "Who cares! You were being beaten, Hiroomi! I couldn't just stand there and watch. That jerk..." I grind my teeth and take a breath.

   "People in a relationship need to protect each other." I whispered and trembled from the thought of it ever happening again. Hiroomi looked up at me with sad eyes. It then looked like all the stress had been lifted from his body. He then tried to smile and ended up losing more tears from his eyes.

   "Akihito...n-no one has ever made me feel safer than you have." He then ran into me, his face burying into my chest. He then hiccuped and sobbed lightly. I couldn't move from what I've seen. I felt a blast of emotions shiver up from my stomach. I lightly put my hand on top of his head and kissed it. I rested my head on top of his as he quietly cried. It was almost like he was releasing all the worry and all the grief he had stored inside.

I never in a million years hoped to see the broken side of Hiroomi. Heck, I barely know what his life was like. My eyes twitched slightly as I cradled him, only hoping that whatever he has been through, that he'll never go through it again.

A/n: Yay!! I'm [barely] on time!!
But anyway, sad chapter, ahhhhhhh.
o(^▽^)o
Thank chu~!

Next Update: January 15th (gonna try)
(Also, late updates now because of school, ew)