Chapter thirty-nine: Rice Omelet

Akihito Kanbara

     I opened the door to my apartment and automatically said, "I'm home," hoping someone would answer. When I remembered that I was now alone, I sighed and threw off my coat and shoes. I walked aimlessly toward the couch and fell down onto the seat. I sat in silence for a moment before I realized I was hungry. I groaned and got up and headed toward the kitchen.

It was empty. No one was cooking lunch while humming an old tune. No one was looking over their shoulder smiling at my sight and singing, "welcome home!" I should be used to the emptiness, but for some reason it started to hurt me a little. I touched the counter lightly and recalled the song she hummed. I started to hum it myself when I realized how much I missed the sound. Why was I always alone?

Although, I didn't really think I had a right to say I was always alone. I had Hiroomi, Mitsuki, and now Maehara, but it didn't feel enough. How many people do you need until you no longer feel lonely? I asked myself. I wish I knew because if I did, I would get that amount just to get rid of this feeling.

I squatted down with my hand still on the counter. My other hand rubbed my eyes. Another headache was emerging. Maybe if I eat, I'll feel better, I thought since I haven't eaten in awhile. I stood up and swayed a little, but shook it off. I started taking things out to make a rice omelet; they always made me feel better. I got out the ingredients and the eggs and turned on the stove. I grabbed my pan and set it on the stove. Cooking oil hit the surface of the pan and sizzled slightly. I cracked the eggs in the pan and the sight of the yoke beginning to fry made me smile a little.

I moved it around and almost flipped it out of the pan when an obnoxiously loud knock came from my door. I kept the spatula in my hands as I walked cautiously to the door.

     "W-who's there?" I peeked through the peek hole in my door and started to breath again.

I opened the door to reveal Hiroomi, who was steaming. I backed up and he hurried in and looked around my apartment.

     "Hiroomi, what are y–" he covered my mouth and shushed me. He mouthed the words, "I'm not here." He released me and marched around the room while looking through every crack and opening. I stared at him, confused and alarmed. What is he looking for?

     "What are you looking for?" I whispered over to him. He stood up straight and covered his mouth with his fingers. He looked frustrated and worried. He probably didn't hear me over his inner thoughts. I walked over and tapped his shoulder. He jumped by my touch.

      "What are you doing?" I said a little louder. I started to get impatient with him. He took a breath and scratched his head.

     "Izumi is still planning on destroying you." He whispered under his breath. I froze, here we go again. I didn't feel as worried as Hiroomi because he didn't know what I was capable of. I was immortal, after all. Unless...

     "Did she find a way to kill me? Is that why you're worried?" Hiroomi flinched at the word. He rushed toward me and held my face in his hands.

     "Akihito, I won't allow her to lay a finger on you." He said this intensely like he knew I couldn't win against what she had planned. Hiroomi looked down and started to breath heavily. I laid a hand on his shoulder and made him look me in the eyes.

     "Hiroomi, I'm immortal. It's going to take a lot more to kill me. What does she have planned?" His eyes veered from each of mine. He bit his lip and sighed.

      "I don't know, that's why I'm worried. She's unpredictable–" I forced my lips upon his and slid my hands onto his waste. His whole body relaxed a little. I released him and smirked.

      "She doesn't scare me." Hiroomi laughed quietly at my comment.

      "It's been awhile since I've seen this side of Akihito." Our laughs were interrupted by my eggs engulfing in flames. I rushed over there and hit the fire with a rag, but it didn't work. Hiroomi held out his hands and stared at the flame. His cage appeared over the fire and the fire ceased. I sighed as I viewed my burnt lunch. Hiroomi patted my back and told me to go sit. As I sat on the couch, I could hear him making something.

     "Whatcha making?" I asked with a hopeful smile.

     "It's a surprise." He hummed. He started to hum a song as he cooked. Happy memories flowed back into my brain.  I closed my eyes and imagined myself at ten years old. I would eagerly wait for my mother to finish cooking. I remember my head barely sitting on top of the counter between my hands. My mother would start to hum without realizing it. I loved watching my mother cook. Especially rice omelets.

My eyes opened to the sudden smell of an omelet. The plate was on the table along with a proud Hiroomi standing next to it.

     "Eat up, Akkey." He smiled at me. I picked up the omelet and smiled when I realized it was a rice omelet. My eyes watered a little. I took a bite of it and a tear streamed down my cheek. It tasted just like my mother's. I started to lose it a little.

     "How does it...Akkey?" His smile faded and he kneeled down next to me.

     "What's wrong?" His hand landed on my knee. I took another bite and sniffled.

      "It tastes just like my mother's." I smiled as more tears fell from my eyes. Hiroomi said nothing more. He sat next to me and ate his own rice omelet. He didn't stare, we didn't talk, we just ate.

      That night, Hiroomi slept over. He said it was for the best that he stay close to me. I laid out a futon on the floor, but he frowned at me.

     "Isn't there enough room in your bed for the two of us?" I strongly blushed at his comment and pointed at the futon.

     "Remember why you're here." I snapped  and went into the bathroom to get ready for bed. I changed my clothes and brushed my teeth. I exited the bathroom to find a half naked Hiroomi. He wore his boxers and was just taking his shirt off. He looked over his shoulder and smirked.

      "I wasn't planning on sleeping over so I guess I'll be wearing this to bed." I blushed a little from his attire. I couldn't look away either. His toned abs and strong features. His well sculpted legs and arms and behind...I covered my eyes and my face became redder. Stop thinking such things! I told myself as I made my way to my side table. I looked at the ring on my finger and smiled. He's still mine though, I thought as I took off the ring and put it on my side table. I watched Hiroomi sit on the futon and cover himself up.

     "Goodnight, Hiroomi. Love you." I said as I walked over to the light switch.

     "Goodnight, Akkey. Love you too." He smirked. I smiled nervously and flipped the switch. Darkness filled the room. I cautiously made my way toward my bed. It was so dark that I tripped over something and fell to the ground.

    "Akkey? Are you alright?" His voice was right in my ear. I suddenly noticed his arm was around me. Did he trip me so that I would fall next to him? I heard his body start to press against mine.

     "Akkey, I'm cold." He whispered as he slid his freezing hand into my shirt and onto my chest. I silently groaned at his cold touch. His whole body was pressed against mine.

     "Maybe you wouldn't be cold if you used the blanket I gave you." I snapped back at him. He flinched and snuggled his head into my back.

    "But Akkey is so much warmer." He wrapped his leg around mine. I was trapped. I figured there was no point in trying to escape. I sighed and put my hand over his. Might as well enjoy this moment while we can.

Next Update: July 13th