Chapter thirty-six: Calm Before the Storm

Hiroomi Nase

I didn't pack an extra pair of clothes, so he went to his closet and opened it wide. He held his hands out to the side and smiled while bowing. He then took his t-shirt and a pair of cargo shorts to change into. He disappeared into the bathroom.

I stared at the contents in the closet. Mostly t-shirts and button-up shirts along with a few vests. I examined the fabrics, wondering what I should take. My eyes soon came upon a sweatshirt. A light purple tint with a tiny character on it. I smiled and inhaled the sweatshirt without a second thought. It was soaked in his scent. My heart fluttered as I went to take a deep breath.

"You little pervert." I jumped from the sound of his voice. I grinned nervously and laughed a small laugh.

"Call me what you want, but I will still do as I please." He rolled his eyes playfully at my response. I flipped the sweatshirt over and flung it over my body. I pulled it down over my bare stomach. I tugged at the sleeves and hugged myself. Akihito's warmth...I started to imagine it all around me. It felt like I was engulfed in his arms.

Akihito walked over and knelt down at the closet. He searched through his neatly folded pile of shorts before he presented me with a pair.

"You don't want me like this?" I grinned as I posed in my speedo. Akihito became flustered and threw the shorts in my direction.

"Just put them on!" He trudged out of the room. I managed to take a glimpse at his red ears. A new quirk I learned today about Akihito is that his ears get really red after an embarrassing moment. I never noticed it, sadly, but today it stood out.

I put the shorts on and skipped out of the room. I found him in the kitchen making snacks which I'm guessing were for us. I quietly walked over and slithered my hands around his waist. He flinched, but relaxed immediately after. I hugged his stomach while resting my head against the back of his shoulder. We started to sway while he prepared our snacks. My lips pressed together and created a sound. I started to hum a random tune to him. While I did so, I peeked over his shoulder to see him slicing apples. I closed my eyes, satisfied, and retreated back to my original head position.

After another few minutes, he picked up the tray and headed back to the living space–with me still intact. When he put the tray down on the coffee table, he sighed.

"Will you release me for a moment?" He groaned. I obediently did so and we sat on the couch. My eyes veered to the snacks. They were apple slices covered lightly with caramel. My eyes gleamed as I reached to pick one. Akihito watched me take a bite first before getting one for himself. My taste buds were enlightened by the taste of the sticky caramel combined with an apple's watery structure. I quickly took another and then another after that one. Akihito giggled before plopping one into his mouth. He jumped suddenly and leaned forward.

"Ow, I bit my tongue!" His face scrunched up as he chewed slower. I laughed and touched his chin.

"Let me see." After swallowing the slice, he opened up just enough for me to see his bleeding tongue.

"It's not bad–wait..." I squinted my eyes and leaned closer. His tongue was bleeding, but it wasn't bleeding the color red. The black blood started to spread on his tongue and drop down in his gums.

"Wha is it?" He struggled to say with my hand tightly on his chin. He swatted my hand away and lifted one brow. Should I tell him...?

"You're bleeding..." Akihito reached into his mouth and touched his tongue gently.

"It's no big deal–" He lifted his finger in front of him and noticed the dark color that came from his tongue.

"What is...?" He looked up at me with a concerned face. Does this have to do with him being half-yumo? Is he...losing?