Chapter twenty-seven: Half-Yumo and Spirit World Warriors

Hiroomi Nase

I was glad to see that Akihito was okay when I arrived at his apartment. The fact that he didn't answer my text right away, frightened me. All I could think about was what if he had lost control and was out there somewhere causing chaos? It bothered me all day, regretting not going over to check on him sooner. He's my responsibility now, I thought and sighed from all the worry a simple headache caused, I must be more cautious.

Since he was stuck in bed most of the day, I suggested we take a walk around for some fresh air. He gladly agreed and jumped out of bed to grab his shoes. The weather could of been better; wind scattered leaves and tiny branches across the ground and the sky was covered with friendly, gray clouds. It was light-jacket season for others while I was still suited up in my winter coat. Akihito wore his gray sweatshirt and a blue beanie to help him stay warm. I smiled at how cute he looked in the attire. All snugly and warm in my perspective.

He immediately caught me staring and smiled.

"What? Never saw me in a beanie before?" I just laughed and shifted my walking distance closer to him. He nudged me and chuckled.

"I haven't, but I like it." I complimented. He smiled to the side and looked around.

"Winter sure is dull." He mumbled while looking at the clouds. I glanced over in the opposite direction and clicked my teeth. He wasn't wrong, everyday was cloudy and eerie. Almost like the atmosphere was waiting for something bad to happen.

I shivered wildly and closed the gap between my scarf and chin. Stupid wind. Akihito peered over at me. He reached his hands up to his beanie and took it off. Next thing I know, I'm wearing his beanie. The already warm hat felt wonderful atop my head. I smiled and felt my cheeks fill with color. He wrapped his arm around me and held me in the crook of his arm. The warmth he was creating was unbelievable.

"Better?" He smirked. I nodded confidently and continued to take in the heat. We continued to walk like that for awhile until he spoke up.

"Hey, Hiroomi? Have you fought any yumo lately?" His question took me by surprised. It was true that I haven't fought in a long time nor have I seen any troubling yumo around. It made me feel weird talking about it to Akihito. Almost insulting.

    "Actually, I haven't seen many in awhile. Maybe Ninomiya Shizuku is taking care of them all." I notice Akihito's mouth drop when I mention her name. Ninomiya Shizuku is a teacher at our school who is also a spirit world warrior. I admire her hand-to-hand combat skills and cheerfulness. I chuckle to myself when I see his adorable, shocked face.

"Ninomiya Shizuku?! As in, Mrs. Shizuku?!?" His eyes shine even though there's no sun to reflect off of them.

"That's the one." I smirk and shove my hands into my protective pockets. Akihito laughs and becomes excited about what he just discovered.

"Wow, I can't believe it! My teacher is a spirit world warrior? That's pretty insane." I laugh at his behavior. I then nudge him with my arm and glare at him.

"What do you mean 'wow,' you're dating one." Although, I was practically on hold at the moment since I'm "watching" over Akihito, but I still considered myself an experienced world warrior. Akihito chuckles at my remark.

"Pretty ironic, now that I think about it." He was referring to the fact that I, a spirit world warrior who fights and kills yumo, is dating him, a half-yumo. But whether he was half-yumo or not, I'd still love him. But will I be able to love his yumo side? The thought emerged into my mind and I shivered. Why would I even think that? Of course I would love his other half...right?

I push the thought out of my head. I focus my attention on Akihito now. His cheeks were colored from the cold and his hands hide in his pockets. His smile drops to a frown and I furrow my eyebrows.

   "Akkey?" His hand reaches up to his forehead and he closes his eyes.

   "Hiroomi, do you...see me as...a threat...?" He sways drastically and starts to go limp. I catch him before he hits the ground.

   "Akihito?!" I struggle to keep him up. I look around to see if anyone was watching and start to carry him home.

    Once we arrive, Yayoi answers the door with a frightful face.

   "It's..." She starts but doesn't finish. I hurry toward his bed and lay him down, covering his body with his blanket while taking off his shoes. I feel his forehead and make sure he's breathing fine. His head was a little warm. I decide to take the sweatshirt off of him. I shimmy the sweatshirt up and off his body while accidentally lifting his shirt up. I could see his small stomach. Last time I saw his tummy, it was more plump. Now it was more frail. Has he been eating right? I kneeled next to the bed. I look up to see Yayoi in the doorway, watching.

   "Has he been eating?" I question her. She would know, she feeds him. She squints at me with a sad face.

   "Yes, all the time, why?" I motion her over and she hesitates. She takes large steps and gazes down at his emaciated stomach. She hums in confusion.

   "This doesn't make any sense. My Akkun is a glut, he should be...oh...wait," she trails off and thinks for a bit. I wait for her to finish. I grow impatient. What? What is it?

She looks down at me with worried eyes and a quivering lip. She plays with her mouth and blinks several times.

    "His yumo side must be taking over his stomach. Which means...in order to be fed, he'll have to eat like...like a..." She didn't have to finish because I already knew. He'll have to eat like a yumo, I look down at his body again and frown. Yumo feed off of people's negative aura; their nightmares, bad intentions, their worst days.

Yayoi leaves the room to search for more information in any of her books. It makes me realize something. In order for Akihito to be a half-yumo, one of his parents had to be a yumo. Yayoi was a spirit world warrior. My mind boggles when I realize how similar Akihito and I's relationship to his own parents. It was practically the same if what I thought about his parents were true. I then smile and recall what he said before he pasted out. Hiroomi...do you...see me as...a threat?

I grab ahold of his hand and lower my head on top of it. I smile and feel my eyes sting.

   "No, Akihito," A trail left over from a tear falling from my eye dampens my cheek.

   "I don't see you as a threat at all."

A/n: sorry I never update directly on time and thank you all for dealing with it
('∀`; )

I would like to take a moment to thank you guys for all the votes and reads!
I really appreciate it!
( ^ω^ )

Next Update: March 15th