Chapter twenty-one: Akkey to Akkun

Akihito Kanbara

   I walked Hiroomi home, holding most of his body weight for him. I sat him down on the porch steps as I almost collapsed from exhaustion. I stumble up the stairs and my pants became caught onto something. It was Hiroomi's hand, he looked up at me and gulped.

   "Wait," he breathed. His eyes averted and he licked his lips.

   "I don't want them to know." I stared down at him trying to figure out if he was serious or not.

   "Hiroomi, how can they not tell?" I said bluntly while motioning to his injuries. He pressed his lips together and looked down at the step.

   "I just don't want them to worry." He mumbled. I sighed and turned to sit next to him.

   "Well what are we going to do?" I said, slightly agitated from his untouched injuries. He then jerked toward me and grabbed my jacket.

   "Let's head to your place." He smiled. I sighed again, but this time with a slight curl on the corners of my mouth.

   "Fine," I helped him up and we headed toward my house. Thank goodness it's not too far away, I said as I tried to keep Hiroomi on his feet.

    When we finally arrived at my apartment, I sat him down on the couch and went to fetch the first aid kit. I rummaged through my cabinets. Usually my place was organized, but I couldn't remember where I put it. It was nowhere to be seen in its normal spot. Hm, I trudged back to the living room and found it in plain sight on the side table.

   "You could of said something." I said, a little embarrassed. He chuckled and looked up at me with those dark, hazel eyes. I kneed down in front of him and unhooked the first aid kit's latch. I picked through it to see what I would need. I opened a packet and gently cleaned his scraps and cuts on his face. It pained my heart to see him so vulnerable. His faced frowned and his arms were limp. Once I applied the bandaids on his injuries, I moved his hair and kissed the top of his forehead.

   "Thank you Akihito," he whispered and hugged me slowly. I held onto him tight as if I were going to lose him if I let go.

   While hugging, a sudden crashing noise came from my room. We both whirled our heads toward the direction of the sound.

   "Um..." Hiroomi watched me as I got up quietly and grabbed my protection bat from beside the door. I held it up and slowly moved toward my room. Someone's here, my heart quickened and my hands became sweaty.

   "Stay here," I commanded Hiroomi as he moved to get up. He froze and watched me pursue the noise. I moved the door open with my hand and peeked in. When I saw the familiar short hair and ridiculous costume, I almost continued to swing the bat. The person in a puppy costume on my bed turned around and smiled widely.

    "Akkun!!!" She squealed and jumped off the bed and into my arms. My eyes twitched with irritation.

   "How's my little pup doing?" She exclaimed with a nuzzle against my cheek. She laughed and messed with my face.

   "Akkey, who is it?" Hiroomi peeked in and saw her all over me. He stared, uncomfortable all of a sudden. She peered over and cocked her head.

   "Oh? Akkun, whose this?" She said while pawing my nose. I swatted her away and felt my face turn red.

   "S-Stop that, mom! You're embarrassing me!" I covered my face and sighed loudly. She frowned and pouted her lip.

   "But why, my little pup?" She said in a whiny voice. I growled at her and she winced. I sighed and laughed nervously toward Hiroomi.