Chapter forty-nine: Time To Finish What Was Started

Akihito Kanbara

Panting, I step out of the brush and onto the Nase driveway. I give myself a breather while I look around for any sign of human activity. For someone who just broke out of this place, it sure was abandoned...

I start my way down the driveway; it was time I ended all this suffering I caused in the past. My hands began to shake. I wasn't sure if it was because I was scared or upset or maybe it was both, but they shook viciously. Stop it, I told myself as I held my arm to stop the shaking. Stop being such a coward. I stepped forward again toward the end of the driveway. My feet froze in place when I saw a glimpse of the house. Are you sure this is what you want? I asked myself. My mouth gaped for a long time and I felt my vision blur. Why am I acting this way? This is what you want, right? You want to end all the pain you caused? All the pain you gave Hiroomi these past few months?

I heard footsteps so I hid myself behind a tree and closed my eyes. The person walked by and into a nearby vehicle.

"I'll call you if I see him, but he's probably long gone now, don't you think?" The man in a uniform said as he closed the door to his truck. I noticed another man walking towards the other side of the vehicle.

"Better safe than sorry, I guess. I heard he took out a whole unit yesterday. That crazy shit." I flinched at the officer's words. Did I really go that berserk?

That's when I knew I had to turn myself in. It was only best since I deserved it for hurting people. I'm a monster—

     "Akihito!" A harsh whisper came from across the road after the truck left. I peeked around the tree and saw Hiroomi bent over next to a tree. He was having trouble breathing and he had sweated so much, you couldn't tell if he took a bath or just ran several miles. His gray tee was soaked in sweat and his hair was damp. My eyes widened and I felt nauseous all of a sudden.

      "What are you doing here?!" I whispered-yelled back at him. He looked both ways before speeding over to my side. He hid behind the tree next to me and smiled up at me. Why?

      "To stop you, of course. You're making a huge mistake turning yourself in, Akihito." He tried to rest his hand on my shoulder, but I moved away.

     "How? I hurt so many people, Hiroomi. That isn't fair. I should be locked up for my crimes. It's only fair..." Hiroomi waved off my speech and let out a gust of air.

      "That wasn't your fault, stupid." I froze, did he just call me stupid?

      "You couldn't control yourself. It wasn't you who hurt those people, it was your yumo." He said with confidence, but I wasn't giving in.

      "Still, I'm turning myself in." I faced away from him in order to start walking toward the Nase residence when he grabbed my hand. I glanced at him; his head hung and his grip loosened.

       "Please...just fight alongside me one more time. I...I don't want to lose you."

"Hiroomi, I don't want to hurt you anymore than—,"

"It'll hurt me more if you give up!" His voice started to sound desperate. He looked up at me now, on his knees, begging me to change my mind. I haven't seen this side of Hiroomi in awhile, hell, I don't think I really have seen this side of him. He's desperate. There's no rage or confidence in his posture anymore, there's just desperation. I swallowed my decision and lowered myself to his level. I hugged him and started to feel something again; fire.