Chapter three: The Walk Home

Akihito Kanbara

I felt like a complete child when Hiroomi insisted on walking me home. He told me it was dangerous and a bad idea to walk alone. I didn't see the danger in it, but I decided not to argue. Hiroomi would probably just follow me even if I did deny his request. We ended up passing the time by talking about the time consuming stories we–or more like I–read in the club room.

"I just don't see the point in reading someone's story if the reader already knows the good guy will always win in the end." I huffed while shrugging. Hiroomi just sighed at my complaining and adjusted his scarf.

"Akkey, some people worked really hard on them. You shouldn't discard them like that." I just rolled my eyes. Another lecture.
"Anyway, Ayano said she worked really hard on it. I've read some of her's, they are actually very good and intriguing."
"Who's Ayano?" My words came across a little more stern than I expected. Hiroomi looked at me. My eyes searched for something other than Hiroomi to look at.

"Not that I care, just wondering." I snorted. My cheeks started to feel hot. Am I blushing?! I shook my head lightly. No way.

"She's an old friend. Maybe I could introduce you sometime." I felt like he was getting pleasure from this.

"No thanks." I growled. I growled? Hiroomi was taken aback from my response and chuckled a little.

"I see," he said under his breath. The way his words flowed made my heart skip a beat. I never noticed how cuddly his scarf made him look.

"You know, Akkey, Ayano and I once shared something quite special in the past–"
"I don't want to hear it!" I said, half irritated and annoyed. Hiroomi laughed at me.
"What's the matter? You jealous?" I froze. Jealous? Me? I could confirm I was definitely blushing by this point. I bit my bottom lip and glared at him.

"T-That's stupid." I mumbled, my voice small and weak. Suddenly, I felt an arm around my neck. It was Hiroomi's. My first reaction should have been to question him and try to escape, but instead of doing so, I froze and stared at his hand that dangled from my shoulder.

"I was only kidding." He smirked at me. I started to protest, but I ended up just stuttering and standing there, speechless. His arm was comforting, I didn't want it to leave my shoulders. I knew if I kept it there, he would think I would like being touched by him. Part of me didn't like the thought of it, but the other half, felt needy.

    After about two minutes, I had enough. I picked up his hand and flung it off of me.

     "Whatever." While I was picking up his hand, I realized something that I didn't when we first touched hands. His hand was cold. I knew I shouldn't have been shocked since he already told me he was always cold due to his powers, but it made me feel a twinge of pity for him.

    Before I could stop myself, I found myself not letting go of his hand. It felt weird, but right. He didn't say anything, and nor did I. After we finally arrived at my apartment, we both looked down at our hands. He was the first to speak.

    "Your child-like face matches your child-like behavior." That's it. I yanked my hand away and rubbed away the imaginary germs on my jacket.

   "Shut up!" Was all I could manage to say at this point. I stomped up the stairs to my apartment. I looked back at Hiroomi who was smiling flirtatiously and waving.

     "That stupid, sexy smile!" I growled under my breath. I froze from trying to unlock my door. Did I just say sexy?!?! I dropped my keys and flung my head back. Why was I acting this way?? All of a sudden, my brain started to hurt and I felt a stabbing pain in my chest. Next thing I knew, I fell to the floor and covered my face in my heads.

    "Oh no, not again!" I yelled, hoping Hiroomi would hear my warning. My yumo side was starting to take over. My fingernails grew long and my veins showed green. No, no, no, no, no, no, no!

      I heard Hiroomi shout my name in the distance. He was coming up the stairs. I tried to take control again, but it wouldn't stop giving up. The next thing I knew, Hiroomi was standing over me with his scarf off. He was ready to take me down. A bit of fear could be spotted in his eyes and mine. He's. . .afraid of me.

    I tried again to maintain control.
    "Come on, Akkey! Pull yourself together!" Hiroomi shouted. It soothed me and kept me from giving in.

    Finally, my human side gained consciousness. I sat up and tried to catch my breath. Hiroomi sighed and fell to my level and laid a hand on my shoulder.

    "You okay?" I looked over at him and took a deep breath.

    "Y-yeah, I'm okay now." I stood up and grabbed my keys. Unlocking the door was hard when your hands were shaking tremendously. Hiroomi put his hand over mine and told me to calm down. I nodded and tried again. Success. I opened the door and turned to face him.

    "Thanks, for being there." I said, slightly shaky. Hiroomi just smiled and tilted his head upward.

    "That's what I'm here for." And he turned and walked away. I shut the door and slid down against the wall. I was exhausted. I wrapped my arms around my knees and looked at my backpack. I sighed. "What's the matter? You jealous?" I recalled his words from our walk-and-talk. I chuckled. Maybe I am, and maybe I'm not.

Next update: September 5th