Chapter twenty-four: Learning and Growing [V-day special!]

Hiroomi Nase

After waking up in a pool of sweat the next morning, I quickly changed clothes and glanced at my calendar. February...I squinted my eyes at the number. The nightmare I had seemed to be affecting my state of mind. Once my eyes focused, I almost fell down from pulling my pants up. It's February 13th?! Tomorrow is Valentine's Day! I pushed all my problems out the window and tried to figure out what to do for Akihito.

•  •  •

Akihito Kanbara

Ever since yesterday, I've been feeling low. I felt our relationship slipping and I didn't like it one bit. I sighed as I thought about what to do for Valentine's Day. I wonder if Hiroomi is going to do something...then I made eye contact with him and smiled shyly.

"Hey, Hiroomi!" I perked up. He glanced up and smirked.

"Hello, Akkey. How are you?" His words came out smoothly and soft. Like always. I took a deep sigh and stood up straight.

"I guess you could say I'm good. How about you?" I smirked. He just giggled and rubbed his nose.

"I'm fine." My face dropped and I moved closer toward him.

"Something wrong?" Please stop slipping. He looked away from me.

"Nothing, just..." his eyes developed a glossy look telling me that he was not fine. Stop running away, I grabbed his hand and waited for him to finish his sentence. He made eye contact with me, finally, and laughed like he was embarrassed.

"Akkey, it's nothing to worry about. It's just...one of my fish died yesterday, that's all." Was that all? A fish? I let go of his hand and looked at my shoes.

"Oh, okay." I then fumbled with my fingers, almost irritated with this...this distance. I tried to bring him back.

"So, are we doing anything tomorrow?" He flinched. His mouth curled up and his eyes closed.

"I guess you'll have to wait and see." There it was, the Hiroomi I fell in love with. The charmer and secretive one. Although, I wish he wasn't always so secretive. I took his hand and kissed the top of it.

"I will wait patiently." I whispered and we walked inside the school for first period.

It was hard to focus because of all the excitement that Hiroomi brought from the mention of celebrating Valentine's Day. Now that I thought about it, it would be the first time I wasn't alone on Valentine's Day.

Tomorrow finally arrived and I practically jumped out of bed. I ran into my kitchen to fix myself a rice omelet before the big day. I halted when a plate was suddenly shoved into my face. A rice omelet with heart shape toppings on it was blocking my vision of the kitchen.

"Happy Valentine's Akkun!!!" My mother had squealed. I groaned, but accepted the omelet anyway.

"Thanks mom." I scuffed. Her face shone with pleasure and happiness. She twirled around and grabbed herself one and sat down next to me on the couch.

"Just like old times, huh?" She said, her voice suddenly calm and collected. I smiled and took a bite out of my omelet. The familiar taste of my mother's cooking gave me a wake up call. I hummed in satisfaction. I missed this.

She watched me out of the corner of her eye and dung into her dish.

"Yep," she responded while popping the P with her lips. I pulled all my attention toward the omelet. It engrossed my entire body and drool started to escape from the corner of my lips.