Chapter 3

Toni

Driving to my one of my favorite restaurants in L.A., Asian Noodle House, Janet and I were talking like we didn't just go on a 10-year friendship hiatus, and I loved it. And it almost made me forget that I got a little upset when she started talking about her boyfriend. I know that I shouldn't have been; I mean, there was absolutely no reason in the world for this woman ever to be single at any given time. And maybe that's why I wanted her.

I parked the car and we headed inside. We took a small booth away from the windows to avoid any commotion, and as I looked at the menu that I practically had memorized, I could feel Janet staring at me. I started to feel self conscious.

"What are you looking at?" I took my eyes off of the laminated paper and looked at her in a quizzical manner. Her eyes immediately darted away from mine and she pulled nervously on her ear lobe. I knew what that meant. "Janet, what's up?" I set the menu down flat on the table and gave her my full attention. God, she was gorgeous.

"Nothing, I'm sorry for staring at you like that. Actually, no. I'm lying. I wanted to tell you that ever since last, night-"

"Are you all ready to order?" A short man with a thick Asian accent asked, readying his pad and pen. He couldn't have been nicer to us, but I didn't like him anymore simply because he cut off what seemed to be a really important confession. I flared my nostrils and tried to keep calm.

"I'll have the seafood Udon soup, and fried rice on the side." I snapped the menu shut and plastered a fake smile on my face. He was too busy writing to notice. Then Janet ordered and we were left alone once again.

"So you were saying before lil Jackie Chan came up?" I urged.

"Never mind, actually. I um, I lost my train of thought."

I knew she was lying. But I didn't push it. The atmosphere was thick and had an odd tension about it as I sipped my green tea. "Okay...?" I said. She fidgeted under my gaze. Why was she so uncomfortable? That was the last thing I hope she'd be around me.

Before our food came, there was minimal conversation after what happened. It was really kind of awkward, and I stared to think that maybe we couldn't just pick up our friendship where we'd left off, unfortunately. But I was wrong. As soon as Janet tried her soup, her eyes rolled back in pleasure, she became a totally different person and suddenly had a whole lot to say to me. I should have figured. If there was one thing I knew about Janet, it was that she LOVED to eat, and food put her in a totally different headspace.

"So, what have you been doing all this time, girl? I know you put out a couple records with Kenneth (for some reason she never called him Babyface), which I LOVED." She bubbled.
I chuckled to myself. That's the Janet I knew.

"Yeah, actually, it's a whole album, me and Face. OH, And he told me to tell you hello." So I did remember. I couldn't wait to tell him.

"Oh! You can tell him I said hello too. When is it coming out? Can you give me that early release hook up?" She smirked.

"I'll see what I can do for you, Jan." I winked back at her.

The rest of our time at the restaurant was pleasant, and the more she talked, the harder I fell for her. It was hitting me like a ton of bricks, every time she smiled, every time she pushed the hair out of her face... All I wanted to do was love her.

Janet

We left the restaurant after about 3 hours; not enough time to relay the events of more than ten years, so I asked Toni to come home with me to keep the conversation going (y'all catch that😉). I wanted to know all that has happened to her but more than anything, I just desired her company. In the back of my mind, I kept wondering what would have happened if the waiter didn't show up when he did, and it scared me knowing I almost told her how I felt about her. Everything happens for a reason, and maybe I wasn't supposed to say anything for the time being. Oh well.