Chapter 58

Janet

The next morning, I felt like a spring chicken. I was excited. Toni was here for good, we were going away together, and everything, for the time being, was okay. I needed to get back to us more than anything, and I was more than sure that our vacation would do just that.

I placed a few light kisses on her back and wrapped my arms around her, feeling her stir. "Toni Michele..." I sang softly.

  "Hm?" She groaned.

  "Today is the day, sweetheart."

  "What's today?"

  "Hawaii, my love." I kissed her again. "Are you ready?"

  "30 minutes, yeah." She said groggily. I laughed.

  "I'll have my chef fix you something nice today, and come get you when it's ready, okay?" I started to roll out of bed.

  "Yes, ma'am."

I shook my head and started to get myself ready. Subsequently, it was a rather dreary day in L.A. as fall rapidly approached. It was raining all the time now. We would arrive in Maui just in time to see the sun set, a pleasant contrast to what was immediately outside my window.

I called down to the kitchen through my intercom system to see if my chef had arrived for work yet. When she answered, I put in a request for French toast, sausage and Mimosas, one of Toni's favorites, and hopped in the shower.

My mind wandered to yesterday, and more specifically, the guilt of that call that I knew I should have told her about. I knew it was going to hang over her head for a while until she could get in touch with her mother, and it was hanging over mine, too.

When I got out of the shower, Toni was finally up and moving around, getting the rest of her suitcase together. I thought I was bad, but she was truly the queen of last minute.

  "Breakfast should be ready soon, maybe twenty minutes?"

  "Okay, I'll hop in the shower." She stood up straight and kissed my forehead. I put my hand on the small of her back lovingly.

  "Do you need any help with that?" I glanced some clothes sprawled on the floor. She smiled and shook her head.

  "If you don't mind."

  "Okay. Go get dressed. I got it."

  She had thrown all of her clothes lazily into her suitcase, and to that I shook my head and folded the remainder neatly on top. After making the bed and idly answering some text messages, she emerged in a cute sweatsuit with the fresh, all white sneakers I'd bought her. She didn't look a day over twenty. Last week she'd switched up the short haircut she always wore, and now had long, dark, bone-straight tresses. Anything she did would suit her well.

"Well, don't you look adorable," I said, getting up and greeting her properly with a soft kiss on the lips. I smacked her ass as we parted ways. "I'm gonna have someone come up here and get these bags before we go, but breakfast is ready if you are."

"I am ready."

  "After you, then." I let her walk past me and down the hall.

  "I wanna talk to you about something, Jan," she started as we sat down at the table and food was set in front of us. It looked and smelled exquisite.

  "Shoot."

She sat across from me with an uneasy look as she poked at her food with the fork. I got nervous. "Toni, what's up?"

  "This whole phone call thing..." she started. My body got hot. Here we go. "It's been hanging me up, and I'm not accusing you, okay? I just—"